Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
226 user(s) are online (147 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 225

todd landis, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 11 »

Re: The History of Packard
Home away from home
Home away from home

Loyd Smith
See User information
I have to agree with Packard Twelve Fan. Packard's quality and durability didn't begin to slip until the salesmen took over, completely, in '52. Even so there were enough old hands and craftsmen on the production line to keep the dependability of the '52 through '54 cars mostly up to standards although, starting in about late 1952, the factory started leaving a lot of work to be done at the dealers that had previously been taken care of in Detroit. The cars, though considered old-fashioned by the flashy V8 and chrome guys, maintained their reputation for dependability, pretty much, through the '54 model year because the bodies had been being built since '51 and most of the mechanics had been around a lot longer. It wasn't until the '55s came along that Packard's reputation for dependability went downhill rapidly.

Truly a shame because the initial popularity and interest generated at its introduction - and the resulting pickup in early sales - turned out to be wasted when the design flaws (that would've been caught in testing earlier in the company's history and fixed) began to manifest themselves. Packard's dealers had always been a cut above everyone else's but, with the bad publicity and dropping sales combined with having to almost rebuild a good many of the cars delivered to them before they could sell them, they started abandoning ship in droves.

Nance's sales and marketing ideas weren't bad, but like a lot of salesmen, I think he momentarily failed to remember that, in the long run, you have to have something to sell. This scenario is being played out all over American industry today. Big money, big management and big resources devoted to advertising hype and gimmicks while the product steadily gets worse. Does the phrase, "Wag the dog," ring any bells?

Posted on: 2008/8/29 0:27
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
John, Well I would have agreed with Uncle Tom. My first car was a beautiful 1952 Chrysler Windsor (6 cylinder engine and fluid drive) which despite its embarrassingly slow acceleration was a delight to drive on the highway. It had an interior which would rival the quality of that found in a pre war luxury car. I would have to say that in comparison to a Packard 200 it was a better car from a quality of materials standpoint if not performance wise.
Peter, I agree with you about the 1947 Packard Super Clipper. It is quite amazing that after 61 years here is a car that will cruise effortlessly at 65mph all day and accelerate it's 4500lb bulk from a stoplight at least as well as many cars built in the 1960's. Had Packard continued to make cars of this quality I don't think they ever would have gone out of business.

Posted on: 2008/8/29 7:55
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Jay Leno has expressed an opinion on American cars. Anyone agree or disagree?

http://www.wired.com/cars/futuretransport/news/2008/08/portfolio_0825

Posted on: 2008/8/29 9:35
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
I couldn't have said it better myself.

Posted on: 2008/8/29 11:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
November 1900 at the New York Auto Show Packard introduced the new Model C. Introduced on the model was Packard's first use of a steering wheel. Many demonstration rides were given to people to prove the merit of the steering wheel.

Still in the eye and mind of the public the steering wheel was thought of as being an unnecessary complication and more difficult to handle than a simple steering lever.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2008/8/29 20:09
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
About eight or nine years ago I did plumbing work for fellow. After I was done with the job, the fellow and I sat down and started talking cars.

It turned out that he and his father owned an Oldsmobile Dealership in Jersey Penna. until 1966. He stated to me other than the 55 & 56 Packards, that he thought that Packard had always produced a quality automobile.

The funny thing is that I asked him what he thought about Packards, without first revealing that I owned a Packard.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2008/8/29 20:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
October 1902 the Ohio Automobile Company bought out Adams and McMurtry Packard Dealership in New York City.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2008/8/30 19:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
As we all know Packard was the first to introduce and equiped autos with air conditioning in 1939. They made air conditioning an option on some models until 1942.

The total number of car Packard built with air conditioning between 1939 and 1942 was 1500. Caddy never even came close to Packard in this regard, as from 1940 through 1942 only 300 Caddies were built with air conditioning.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2008/9/2 19:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
Packard introduced auto air conditioning to the public at the 40th Annual National Show in Chicago on November 4th, 1939.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2008/9/14 20:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
Arpil 10, 1932. The first Packard V12 produced is sold to a J.B. Ford. Mr. Ford was president of Libby Ownes Ford Glass Company.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2008/9/16 21:34
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 11 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved