Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
148 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 6
Guests: 142

Packard Don, humanpotatohybrid, 37Blanche, DavidM, packardbill, DM37, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: Oil Pressure Problems
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Hi All,

OK, When I had the car flat bedded to my mechanic's shop I showed him the recommended service schedule and told him to proceed under the assumption that nothing had been done to the car. So all the recommend service at the one, two and four year intervals was done. The oil pan was dropped and cleaned as well as the pickup screen. The same thing was done to the transmission. The read end was drained, bearings serviced with new seals and the differential was then filled with fresh gear oil. Front wheel bearings were checked and re-packed. Actually the first thing I had on the list was bringing the emergency brake up to speed - then proceed to the service brake system which was renewed. Bottom line is that the driveline is as clean as when it left East Grand.

I think Tim mentioned that the V8s were referred to as "dirty engines". I can second that as the engine oil is a medium brown already and thus will need changing before too long, When that time comes, I hope to switch over to the Olds HV pump and anything I find will be bagged and tagged and sent to Jack along with the existing pump. I promise to take pictures and the first one who identifies what brand of pump was in there gets bragging rites. I know the pan and screen were cleaned but it will be interesting to see if there is anything there now to be read.

Sunday Night Radio!

When I was around 4 years old or so I had an old radio on my night stand and if I had been really good the preceding week, I got to listen to "The Shadow" which was originally broadcast on Sunday nights at my then 8pm bedtime. If, I had screwed up, the radio was unplugged and no Lamont Cranston and his exploits. I really loved that show so I was usually pretty good - or tried to be. I can imagine how shocked (pun intended) you were to hear that coming out of a 1956 radio. I would be too - especially on a Sunday night! Talk about a time-warp!

Thank you all once again for walking me through this episode - I've really learned a lot - which I hope to pay forward some day.

Took the car out on the freeway again today: solid oil pressure. What a difference a quart makes!

Posted on: 2012/7/5 18:57
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Re: Oil Pressure Problems
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear Jim:

Glad your car is running okay.

Depending on the axle ratio the speed per 1000 RPM is as follows: Standard 3.54:1 23.8 mph, 3.28:1 25 mph 3.07:1 27.5 mph.

So with the standard ratio 3000 rpm translates to 71.4 mph.

So the minimum required oil pressure to run at that speed is 30 psi. Usually Packard speedometers read fast so running the car 65-70 would probably be alright, although given Packard liked higher oil pressures I would want to take it easy.

This rule of thumb comes from my SAE reference and is pretty consistent with a lot of vehicles. Let's look at my modern car:

Idle: 11 psi
3200 rpm: 46-57 psi.

The car will probably rev up to 6500 rpm and so I'm sure it satisfies the rule of thumb, 4000 rpm translates to around 100 mph so I'll bet governed top speed is 125 which is 5000 rpm and 50 psi. Pretty darn close. Typically maximum oil pressure is tied to 10 psi per maximum rpm.

Let's suppose you are at Indianapolis and running 6000 rpm on the straightaways. If the oil pressure is 60 psi and you start pushing the engine higher for sustained periods it will probably blow up.

So I think the 10 psi per 1000 rpm rule of thumb for oil pressure is good.

Posted on: 2012/7/5 19:22
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved