Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
76 user(s) are online (48 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 76

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 4 (5)

Re: Newbie to the Packard world.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Fred Puhn
See User information
I had a sad experience with an old 52 Hudson that I bought cheap years ago. It had been sitting in a driveway for many years but it was a rust free original car that only needed the engine overhauled. After doing the engine I rebuilt the dual carbs, got a rebuilt fuel pump and got it ready to start. The fuel tank was dry after years of sitting, so I put fresh gas in it and started it. The engine ran a few minutes and died. After some cranking I got it to start but it never ran long enough to drive it. Finally I sold it to a friend, telling him the whole story.

He figured it out. After putting fresh gas in the tank this dissolved the goo in the tank enough to let it move through the fuel lines. He had to rebuild the fuel pump and carburetors again to get the goo out. Obviously the tank had to be pulled and cleaned to really solve the problem.

I just mention this to help you avoid the problem. I just did the tank in my 1950 Packard. A radiator shop can clean and test the tank for leaks. The Packard has an inaccessible fuel sender and my bad one was fixed at the same time when the tank was out.

Merry Christmas and have fun with your Packard.

Posted on: 2012/12/24 14:52
Fred Puhn
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 4 (5)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved