Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
222 user(s) are online (134 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 221

kmack58, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 »

Re: Alternative pistons and rods for V-8
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Craig. I'm impressed with your findings on the rods and pistons. Most likely the way i will go for long term keeper engines.

The point i am trying to make relative to the pistons is that a wider variety of oversizes (not just up to .030 over) and wide continuous availability into the future mite well be worth the added expense of the rods that u have discovered.

The only question now is one that JV brought up about the width of the big end of the rod.

Posted on: 2010/1/23 19:36
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
PackardV8 wrote Quote:
(snip) The only question now is one that JV brought up about the width of the big end of the rod.

The width of the big end of a BBC rod is 0.995 according to my source. I don't know what the width of one of the 7.100 rods measure. A Packard rod I have handy measures 1.050. As to whether this difference will be a problem or not, I'll have to check. If someone gets serious about this rod/piston combination, then exact measurement of everything would be in order.

If this combo does work, the rods will outlive 3 engines.

Craig

Posted on: 2010/1/23 19:45
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Update on the rod side clearance difference.

I cannot think of any reason why extra rod side clearance would be a problem, even 0.100. The oil flow is determined by the bearing clearance, not the rod side clearance. Both the pin end and the bearing end are floating, so they are NOT dependent on the side clearance for anything but keeping the rod somewhat captured within its nominal position.

For instance one source I found on the internet says:

Quote:
some Nextel Cup engines have over a .100 side clearance when they are pin guided. Some have MUCH more. The oil flow is really only determined by the bearing clearances anyway.

On edit: "pin guided" probably means that the rod bearings are pinned rather than using normal end slots. For a HiPo street engine, pinned rod bearings are not needed.

A call to Eagle or one of the other manufacturers would be in order to help resolve this question.

Craig

Posted on: 2010/1/23 20:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quick, dumb question. Does this mean that it's possible to use different rod bearings in the Packard rods that are narrower than the original bearing?

Posted on: 2010/1/23 20:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
TurboPackman wrote Quote:
Quick, dumb question. Does this mean that it's possible to use different rod bearings in the Packard rods that are narrower than the original bearing?

Short answer: yes. If the BBC big end rod bearing (which is narrower than a Packard) will withstand 1,000HP, then it will withstand anything a Packard head/intake/exhaust can throw at it.

Craig

Posted on: 2010/1/23 20:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
FYI: Packard service manual indicates .003 to .011 inch sideplay for the rods. The .003 seems a bit tite to me.
I'm not sure about that .100 inch sideplay tho. Seems like too much.
I suppose one could cut the top out of a scrap piston and mock it up to see if the top of the rod is getting too close to the piston pin bosses and for general centering analysis.

Posted on: 2010/1/23 22:16
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
PackardV8 wrote Quote:
I'm not sure about that .100 inch sideplay tho. Seems like too much.

Maybe not. Until you ran it at 12,000RPM for 500 miles, who can say?

Craig

Posted on: 2010/1/23 22:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Quote:
some Nextel Cup engines have over a .100 side clearance when they are pin guided. Some have MUCH more. The oil flow is really only determined by the bearing clearances anyway. On edit: "pin guided" probably means that the rod bearings are pinned rather than using normal end slots.

Not quite. The "pin-guided" rods referenced is when the piston top end clearance between the rod small end sides and the piston pin boss is reduced to less than .003" per side. The tight clearance between the piston and the rod small end keeps the rod big end from moving side-to-side on the crankshaft. Thus, the rod is pin-guided instead of big-end side clearance guided.

The Packard V8 con rod big end width is 1.060" and the BBC is .990". The real concern is when the crankshaft diameter is reduced .050" to fit the BBC bearings and the side clearance is opened up to .150" will the oil holes in the rod throws be uncovered?

Quote:

Yes, theoretically possible. See above - will a narrower bearing uncover the oil passages?
No, it's not that easy. Most BrandXYZ rod bearings of the same nominal 2.25" crank diameter are a different outer diameter as well as being narrower. This would require a careful re-manufacturing of the rod bore ID, as well as sometimes cutting a new tang locating slot. Major, expensive machining operations.
Maybe, until we start breaking a lot of Packard rods with high RPM and high horsepower, we don't yet really need to swap out bearings and rods.

thnx, jack vines

thnx, jack vines

Posted on: 2010/1/24 0:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
Quote:
My driving is RARELY under 50 mph and mostly 70-80 mph on rural interstate. I can't take a chance on parts that are alleged less than OEM durability.

Now why would you drive that fast if your car had a Treadle-Vac Brake system? (Sarcasm- Runs for cover)

Posted on: 2010/1/24 12:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Keith doesn't have a BTV in his car, he came to his senses long ago.

Posted on: 2010/1/24 13:13
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved