Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
126 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 126

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 10 11 »

Re: Here is what happened today. What would you do next?
Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Pump is here it turns out. Wow. Speedy delivery. Now I just need the gasketry and a willing and able wrench turner....

Otherwise, sounds like a sensible plan. I will be curious to hear what it was from an expert. Rebuilt deluxe or rebuilt dubious?

Posted on: 2011/9/3 21:15
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
Hi all, especially patgreen. I last week finished the installation of Jack Vines High Volume Olds oil pump kit into my 50k miles 56 Patrician. I was getting noisy lifters more often especially since I sat it on 80 mph for 30 minutes during a recent trip. I also pulled the Twin-Ultra as I had a weep from the converter ring seal ( because I was too lazy to scrape all of the previous seal out), and a few other weeps. Trans back in and started the car today. The first thing that I noticed after starting was no lifter noise. The oil gauge needle now sits at about three-quarters where it used to sit at half. I haven't spotted any leaks from engine or trans yet but it is all settling in at the moment. Thanks to Jack and the other contributors for this very good mod. Best regards Peter Toet

Attach file:

jpg  (62.59 KB)
154_4e6b4a53029ef.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2011/9/10 6:30
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Another Packard engine saved from the oil pump gremlims of old.

Posted on: 2011/9/10 7:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
PatGREEEN

I forgot to mention to check the dip stick for interference with the oil pick up screen. The interference may or may not exist on BOTH Packard oem pump pick up screen and the Olds conversion pump pick up screen.

Just cut about 3/8" off of the bottom of the dip stick.

Posted on: 2011/9/10 22:24
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
G'day all, I initially wasn't sure how much to cut off the dipstick as it definitely does foul on the new Olds pump, but then I realised that it not the end of the dipstick that determines the oil level. The dipstick goes in until the top cap of the dipstick grounds on the top of the dipstick casing from the sump to determine the oil level. There appears to be a large distance from the LOW mark to the bottom of the stick and we all look at the LOW mark not the bottom of the dipstick. So I cut one inch off the stick and it grounds into the top of the casing, presumably to give me the same reading of the oil level as previously obtained. I put in around six litres of oil and all appears OK. Best regards Peter Toet.

Posted on: 2011/9/11 3:35
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Peter Packard. Had u checked the dip stick BEFORE removing the OEM PACKARD pump then u would have found that the dip stick hit the OEM PACKARD float also.

Check the top of the OLD OEM PACKARD flost to see if there is an etching from the dip stick rubbing it.

Posted on: 2011/9/11 7:58
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Pat green:

BE SURE to save any sludge or debris that is in the oil pan AND STUCK to the oil pick up screen of the OEM pump assembly removed!!! We nned to look at the debris to determine if the valve seals (in the cylinder head) are breaking up and falling into the bottom of the oil pan.

One of the problems with hiring OTHER PEOPLE to do work is that they tend to ignore signs, evidence and warning signals of OTHER potential malodies (unrelated to pump or lifter clatter) that mite exist in the engine or mite become issues some 10K miles down the road. U almost have to stand rite there supervising the operation yourself so that a COMPLETE inspection of OTHER parts of the engine can be dome all at one time.

Look for small kind of plastic pieces in the bottom of the oil pan AND in the oil pick up screen. Small plastic pieces about like the size and shape of 1/2 of a thick toe nail. If such pieces are found then most likely the valve seals (in the heads) are gone bad.

Posted on: 2011/9/11 8:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
CLARIFICATION:
THe dip-stick to oil pump float clearence can not be checked AFTER the oil pan has been removed because the dip stick is part of the oil pan. The only reason i discovered the dip stick interference was by mocking up the pump(s) and an oil pan with dip stick on a bare block i have for test purposes.

However, i was suspicous all along because i could hear a plinking noise every time i ran the dip stick into the engine. There was also evidence of etching on the top of the float where tip of dip stick was hitting the float.

Posted on: 2011/9/11 8:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
BE sure to save any SOLID debris from the oil pan or screen removed from the engine. Most likely here is what we'll find:

Pieces of valve seal, valve keepers and lifter spring clips along with pieces of cork.

Posted on: 2011/9/11 8:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Will check and let you know (or mail you) whatever we find.

Not anticipating vast sludge deposits since the pan was off a couple of years ago----but who knows....

Posted on: 2011/9/11 9:05
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 10 11 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved