Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
182 user(s) are online (111 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 181

moodydavid16, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 62 63 64 (65) 66 67 68 ... 195 »

Re: Henry's 55 Constellation
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
sorry Ross, i am trying my man. i put the TQ converter pack into the transmission....damn thing is hard to line up right. had to keep fooling with it and ended up using a rubber mallet to get it all the way on.

now that it is in.....it turns clockwise, but NOT counter clockwise, which i am guessing means the reactor is working correctly. idk......

should it turn counterclockwise? and if so maybe i am just not putting enough effort with my punny arms.

Hank

Posted on: 2010/9/5 21:23
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
oh and turbo i did come back with a scotch brite pad and smoothed it back out.

p.s. didn't really mean laugh at me..... (don't mind me i'm just frustrated)

Hank

Posted on: 2010/9/5 21:26
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
HH56, your #4 pic is the pic I was trying to find.

Hank, I'm thinking that your converter is screwed, and if you try to run it when it's that tight you will end up destroying the rest of the insides with all the metal shavings that are going to come from that steel-brushed bushing.

Posted on: 2010/9/5 21:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
And yes, it's only supposed to turn one way, that's why it has the over-running clutch inside. The flywheel turns the converter clockwise from the front, which means you should only be able to turn it one way, otherwise, the reactor won't work like it's supposed to.

And I know you're frustrated, been there, done that before.

Posted on: 2010/9/5 21:36
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
took the converter back off, i don't see any metal shavings anywhere after turning a few dozen times. course that isn't normal engine speed or duration either. it seems to be a nice tight fit now and the converter takes a bit of effort to turn clockwise, which to me would mean the bushings are nice and tight. it wont go counter clockwise, which i guess is normal. the tailshaft moves when i turn it clock wise, but the converter does nothing (unless it is internal) when i turn the tailshaft itself.

you can't just turn the TQ by hand really fast and let it spin. you have to spin it a turn at a time by hand or it wont move. it is not freely moving.....have to use effort to keep it going or it immediately stops when you stop applying pressure.

turbo it was a small copper wire brush on a very slow setting with minimal pressure applied. then i came back with scotch brite and smoothed the bushing out so that i was semi-shinny again. i think that should be fine, wouldn't you?

anyone in the dallas area wanna let me mate this thing up to there motor so i can test it? .......doubt it.....thought i would ask though.

Hank

Posted on: 2010/9/5 21:39
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
"turbo it was a small copper wire brush on a very slow setting with minimal pressure applied. then i came back with scotch brite and smoothed the bushing out so that i was semi-shinny again. i think that should be fine, wouldn't you?"

No, the whole thought of it scares the hell out of me. Honestly. I've heard of scraping babbitt with a knife to "adjust" clearance, but never any type of wire brush.

Since our German friend with the ability to always post an appropriate picture is no longer with us, I'll attempt to fill in:

Reminds me of a few other "not so good" ideas:

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 2010/9/5 21:45
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
also, with the TQ converter out i cannot turn the reactor shaft by hand. no way no how. but with it in the transmission it turns.

Posted on: 2010/9/5 21:47
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
this is what the new one looks like before i brushed it down. you can see the teeth from the reactor shaft grabbing cause it is too tight. this was from me installing the shaft.....not from it sitting there...once on it sits on the smooth part of the reactor shaft right below those teeth.

the one that is on the shaft in the last pictures is the old one. it slides right on. i remember it turning freely by hand when we pulled it off the shelf, but with the new bushing i can't turn it by hand at all.

could that mean the old one is just gone and the new one is right?

i have the new one in the EXACT same location as the old one was.

idk...i'm worried....makes me want to put back the old one.

shit........pardon my french. what a waste of 25 bucks.....

Hank

Attach file:

jpg  (151.64 KB)
491_4c8457bc0bb4c.jpg 1600X1200 px

jpg  (175.54 KB)
491_4c8457d8d7304.jpg 1600X1200 px

jpg  (142.05 KB)
491_4c8457f893d87.jpg 1600X1200 px

jpg  (155.99 KB)
491_4c845810292cd.jpg 1600X1200 px

Posted on: 2010/9/5 21:55
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
well, at least i am trying it myself......i guess that counts for something.....most ship their's off (not that there's anything wrong with that cause they aren't going through what i am) at this point i envy them.....but i saved about 1000 bucks doing it this way.

Hank

Posted on: 2010/9/5 22:03
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Yes, you do get points for trying it yourself, most people on here don't have the ba77$ to get that far into an Ultramatic like you have.

Posted on: 2010/9/5 22:09
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 62 63 64 (65) 66 67 68 ... 195 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved