Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
252 user(s) are online (155 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 249

BigKev, humanpotatohybrid, 29tons, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 »

Re: New available motor oil
Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
Need to change oil in my 39, 12, so think I wanted to try some Brad Penn straight 30 wt oil. Went to Amazon and the selection is confusing to me. I see a few types of 30 wt., break in oil? Etc. Which is the everyday use oil?

Posted on: 2015/12/26 12:51
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If you want a single viscosity SAE 30 in a detergent version with appropriate wear additives there are lots of major name-brand sources such as Pennzoil, CAM2, and Shell (Forumula Shell). These are the oils I use in my '34 Eight, generally Pennzoil or Shell but I just picked up a case of CAM2, reasonable at $38 for 12 quarts.

Posted on: 2015/12/26 13:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
In Las Vegas many of these not available in non synthetic, or straight wt. Have tried the Rotella 15-40. But I keep being told too light, and at the moment don't see any at Auto Zone or O'Reillys. The CAM 2, you purchase from?

Cam Super Pro Max?

Posted on: 2015/12/26 13:59
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The CAM 2, you purchase from?

The local auto parts store (NAPA in this case) orders it for me, usually have it the next day. SAE15W-40 wouldn't be my choice for a Twelve here in NJ but perhaps it is for you - I guess the temperatures when you drive the car are quite high like 95-100?? If you want single viscosity I'd follow Packard's recommendation for the temperatures you anticipate, though in a detergent oil assuming you engine is clean internally.

I guess you've read the little booklet about the dual (low pressure & high pressure) oiling system? It might be worth a read - published by the Lone Star Region of The Packard Club.

Posted on: 2015/12/26 14:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
Not read the book, but I will. Looking at Amazon, whether single or multi grade, seems to be different kinds, which specifically kind of multi do you use? There is a napa close I can order from. Don't need a single viscosity, been using Valvoline 20-50 racing for years. Been told that is too heavy, and mostly not available around here anymore. Thanks

Posted on: 2015/12/26 15:16
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Sorry if I wasn't clear but I don't use a multi-viscosity in my 34. First, like your Twelve it has an oil heat exchanger which largely negates the advantage of a multi-viscosity. And secondly I only use the car in spring, summer and fall so I don't need a thinner oil for winter use.

Unless your engine is really tired and with lots of wear I think a 20/50 is too heavy. Thinner oils moving in higher volumes would be a better choice. What are the temperature extremes that your car is driven in?

Posted on: 2015/12/26 19:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
Probably minimum 70 and max 110. In Vegas.
Wanting to switch to probably a 30wt?

Posted on: 2015/12/27 2:40
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Yeah, given that you've got a functioning oil cooler I'd go with a single viscosity SAE 30 for an engine in good internal condition; perhaps a SAE 40 if it's showing signs of the clearances beginning to open up. But of course use a detergent variety with antiwear/scuff additive packages like those identified in post #72 above, and if you don't know the last time the pan was dropped and cleaned, I'd do that as well.

I don't know anything about the Brad Penn oils, it may be a fine choice but my preference is always for well-known major brands. I can probably get you the specific product numbers for the Shell, CAM 2 and Pennzoil products mentioned above if you need them.

Posted on: 2015/12/27 9:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
If you have any of the brands at your home or garage, just look at a label, any one of those should do. They have higher levels of lead?

Posted on: 2015/12/27 12:58
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Guessing you mean zinc, not lead. I don't know what the ZDDP levels are but since both our engines have roller cam followers it's kind of an academic question.

Posted on: 2015/12/27 13:11
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved