Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
213 user(s) are online (143 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 211

Charles, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9) 10 11 12 »

Re: GM 4L60E Transmission Adapted for 1955 Packard 400
Home away from home
Home away from home

John Payne
See User information
G'day Craig,

Sorry about the age related comment. I guess age assumptions can be dangerous and I certainly didn't mean any offence. Moreover, if you consider yourself a young fella, albeit in spirit, then at one year older I should too and forget all about that senior cit crap.

I originally started thinking about a 700R4 conversion a few years ago when I was (slowly) restoring a '56 400, but I onsold the project to a younger fella over fears I would be too old when it was finished (that age negativity again). However, I bought my '56 Patrician 4 years ago as a nice driver with a good TU, but still have ambitions for a 700R4 conversion at some stage. That is, if all the elements of a good project can be brought together, so I'll be keeping a check on this topic for updates about Mr Butler's project.

Regarding the latest post about adapter plates, I had discussed this concept with the developer I have previously mentioned and he was strongly opposed to them, essentially because those that he had come into contact with all had vibration problems. He said his re-machined 700R4 bellhousing was perfectly aligned and matched to the Packard V8 and had no vibration problems whatsoever. So this does suggest caution about using an untried product.

Kind regards, John

Posted on: 2011/10/23 1:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
JP Quote:
G'day Craig,

Sorry about the age related comment. I guess age assumptions can be dangerous and I certainly didn't mean any offence. Moreover, if you consider yourself a young fella, albeit in spirit, then at one year older I should too and forget all about that senior cit crap.

No offense taken.

Back on the trans conversion topic:

KevinAZ's 55 400 "guinea pig" for the 4L60E conversion is typical of Kevin's attitude. If you've seen my website, his engine was also was the "guinea pig" for the full flow filter conversion. Many thanks to KevinAZ for his forward thinking and spending.

IMHO (In My Hunble Opinion), the 4L60E/4L65E/4L70E (all basically the same) conversion is the ONLY way to go on our V-8 Packards if you are having problems with the T-U. On my 55 Pat, I've never had a significant problem with the T-U that was rebuilt by Trowbridge Automotive (an old time drag racer including Packards) before I bought it, so right now I have no need for the conversion. But, if I needed one, that's the way I would go.

Craig

Posted on: 2011/10/23 11:03
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

smith
See User information
I would be more than willing to buy what is available.
What exactly is available & by whom?

You indicated Art Butler has a supply?? This I would be quite interested in, yet additional information would be greatly appreciated from those who know....contact info, pricing, etc.

Bendtsen has reputation for quality products, as adapters is their business. Thus, I would not be unwilling to try this new product once it is out.

I have no interest in the Sierra Grove conversion.

Posted on: 2011/10/23 12:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
All of this is making me wonder if the T'Ultra bellhousing can be rather easily modified to fit the GM trans. Thus eleminating the need for any special adapter plates that are complex to make or at the very least some kind of simple adapter plate between trans and T'Ultra bellhousing. I won;t mention stick bellhousing since those are rare as hens teeth.

Posted on: 2011/10/23 16:09
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I wasn't aware that the message came across in that manner as that was not the intent but in the interest of the project and hopefully more information down the line, I will delete it.

Posted on: 2011/10/23 16:48
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

smith
See User information
Nordstrom is/was doing a TH400 for the 56 Golden Hawk. I have tried calling & emailing with no results. I have a friend who bought a car from him and was advised there may be a lack of attention to detail with this item. I have no first hand knowledge nor would speculate on the final product from him.
I am going to attempt to contact Mr. Butler for first hand info if he is willing to speak to me.
I will also contact Bendtsen Transmission Adapters again to see if there is anything I can do to get this project going.

Scott

Posted on: 2011/10/23 18:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Kevin AZ writes (referenceing deleted post by HH56):
"Howard,

The project is low key for many reasons, but mainly because it is new and the man behind it is an unassuming gentleman. Your dismissive posting is uncalled for and erroneous. Just because people wish to not communicate on the WWW does that give you the apparent right or privilege use your 'ambassador' status in an attempt to leverage, squeeze, or shame people into getting information. I've made it clear how to reach Mr. Butler"

Ok. KevinAZ. DELETE YOUR GODDAMNED post too! Yours was uncalled for. IF it's such low key and private then why did u start this thread to begin with???? I was wondering the same thing that HH56 had indicated. There was nothing "uncalled for" nor "erroneous" about HH56's post.

U should have taken YOUR OWN advice and PM'ed HH56 about your dissatisfaction for his post instead of posting it here in the this thread. I mean WTF!! I'll just take over now where HH56 left off with his deleted post. That ought to make every one happy.

Posted on: 2011/10/23 19:09
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill
See User information
Big Kev,
The children are misbehaving.

Posted on: 2011/10/23 19:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
PackardV8 Quote:
Ok. KevinAZ. DELETE YOUR ...

Keith, that was uncalled for also. When Kevin deletes his post, you should delete yours.

Craig

Posted on: 2011/10/23 20:28
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

smith
See User information
I fail to understand where this is accomplishing anything productive to the subject at hand.
I am new to this forum, not to Packards or their problems that need resolution.
I joined this forum to gather information, insight & possibly contributed something of interest I have knowledge on.
I can understand Kevin's point of view so as Mr. Bulter is not swamped by calls or emails by people who are just inquisitive & have no intention of actually doing something. I personally do not have the time to expend in such an endevearor. I will in fact research, find the best option & do it.
I have a need of a conversion for 3 55-56 Caribbeans and the 55 400, to which I would like to drive often. The Ultramatic in the 5699 currently works fine, but it would be a matter of time until this fails me as well.

I have absolutely no reservation of putting one of Bentdsen's 51-54 straight 8 adapters is my 53 Caribbean. That will be done if I shelf the 55 400 & 55 Caribbean due to lack of availablity for a transmission.

As previously mentioned before, I will continue to pursue a quality conversion; wherthere it be thru Butler, Bendsten or I can get someone do this myself.
Scott

Posted on: 2011/10/23 20:35
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9) 10 11 12 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved