Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
203 user(s) are online (126 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 201

Don B, Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: differential whine
Home away from home
Home away from home

packardtaximan
See User information
Thank everyone for the replys. At my age and health condition it's no fun changing out a rear end from the floor of the garage. Thanks again to all. Packardtaximan

Posted on: 2012/5/16 22:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

africapackard
See User information
Hi

As Ross said, I had a huge issue a few weeks ago with the pinion nut coming loose!!!
Luckily no further damage is aparent, but it made a big noise on the overrun. If yours has been noisy for a long time it might be the inside as the nut will become more loose and the noise will keep increasing to the stage where the pinion will start jumping gears...then you can get serious damage to the diff. I am just waiting for new pinion and shaft seals then will put everything back and hope for the best.

It is important to get the hug-lock or cleveland nuts for the pinion as they will stay tight. I am however, going to use lock tite on it too. I am not sure if the modern nylock nuts will work, but as a last resort has one ready.

The info in this thread regarding the ratios is usefull. Is it easy to see the ratios on the diff casing? Is it stampe don the outside somewhere or canb I count teeth?

Regards
Barrie from South Africa

Posted on: 2012/5/17 1:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Quote:

africapackard wrote:

The info in this thread regarding the ratios is usefull. Is it easy to see the ratios on the diff casing? Is it stampe don the outside somewhere or canb I count teeth?

Regards
Barrie from South Africa

The marking on the outside of the casing is hard to see without a lot of cleaning and I have found it to not always be that reliable.
Counting teeth on the ring gear and pinion is good, but the tooth count and/or ratio are marked on the outer diameter of the ring gear along with the Packard part number, so if the carrier assembly has been removed from the axle housing it is easy to read.

Brian

Posted on: 2012/5/17 2:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packardtaximan
See User information
Thank you to everyone that responded to this topic. ROSS; YOU THE MAN, you were right-on about the pinion nut being loose. In over 30 years of Packarding when I read about Africa Packards problem and how he solved it I thought how is that possible, and only a few weeks later I was a victim of the same issue. Thanks again to everyone and a special thanks to Big Kev for the Packard Information Site.
Packardtaximan

Posted on: 2012/5/20 20:41
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved