Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
218 user(s) are online (122 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 216

37Blanche, Jack Vines, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

49 packard standard 8 is running rich
Just popping in
Just popping in

tiney
See User information
I have a 1949 standard 8 packard that is running rich. It idles and runs fine and drives just fine. But it is hard to start cold and stutters a little on acceleration which i think might be the accelerator pump, i rebuilt the carb but the kit i had had the wrong accelerator pump so i used the old one. but i also think it is running rich you can smell the gas in the exhaust and the fumes burn your eyes. any sudjestions?

Posted on: 2012/12/12 22:04
 Top  Print   

Re: 49 packard standard 8 is running rich
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Frank1951
See User information
Does the car start smoking immediately when you start it or does it start smoking after it warms up?
Frank

Posted on: 2012/12/17 18:21
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

tiney
See User information
doesn,t start smoking right away only after it has been idling for awhile.

Posted on: 2012/12/17 18:30
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Frank1951
See User information
Mine does the same thing but it did not change after I rebuilt the carb.

Posted on: 2012/12/19 23:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
You will need to doublecheck the the choke is fully opening as the car warms up (and for the hard starting issue, that it is closing fully when cold).

If the choke does not open fully, make certain that it is drawing in air at the tube fitting that goes down to the manifold. A warped, cracked or loose choke housing is usually the problem.

If the choke is opening and the car is still running rich--I assume you are speaking of black smoke-- then adjust the idle screws leaner. If they seem to have no effect the probable cause is that the float level is too high. If you are running an electric fuel pump, it may overpower the float valve.

Posted on: 2012/12/20 6:32
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved