Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
215 user(s) are online (149 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 213

bkazmer, Wat_Tyler, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: 56 Trunk Lock
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
OD wrote "The failure mode was the off-center pin on the end of the lock cylinder which retains the latch lever snapped off."

HOW MUCH of the off center pin is still left????? Post a pic of it. I think i have a fix that can be fashioned with a file and a drill using a piece of steel about the size of a quarter and maybe .050 thick. U can even use SS if u want to.

Posted on: 2008/8/24 11:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Owen. SAVE THE PIN THAT BROKE OFF!!!! Do NOT throw it away!

Posted on: 2008/8/24 12:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
here's the fix. it works fine altho ez improvement in mind . details if anyone is interested. two items circled in yellow are the broken areas of ORIGINAL Packard part. The heart shaped piece and the notched washer on the far right are hand made. Assemble from left-to-right.

Attach file:

jpg  (35.79 KB)
35_48b1ba5757093.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2008/8/24 14:45
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Here's a picture of my broken trunk latch adapter. I have procured a new (NOS) one but would still like a stronger one.

Attach file:

jpg  (34.84 KB)
177_48b1ccee031b0.jpg 800X997 px

Posted on: 2008/8/24 16:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Your adapter appears to hace somekind of flange protuding toward the camera from the noon to 3'oclock position or is that just a phoyographic illusion???? I have 2wo of them hear with NO such hooded like protrusion.

The bottom pic shows the 2wo hand made parts on the right. Assemble from left to right. It's strong. made out of .050 steel sheet metal. A better solution mite be to fashion ONE thick heart shaped piece out of Al. No reeforcement washer. The only slightly difficult part is to cut the crescent shaped hole but a little patience and some jewelers files will cut hte Al real fast.

The sheet metal parts as shown in the pic do the job just fine tho and are real ez to make rather fast. The extra washer with the notch on the side is for reenforcement to keep the screw from coining the sheet metal heart shaped piece when tightened because it is a bit thin . Use one thicker piece if u want to.

Attach file:

jpg  (31.64 KB)
35_48b1da8399c6e.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (22.39 KB)
35_48b1dab008545.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2008/8/24 17:03
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Thanks for the pix, looks easy to do. And the broken piece in your picture on the red background has the same flange. If I remember right that's where the small hole is for the end of the spring.

Posted on: 2008/8/24 17:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
How long is the rod????

Posted on: 2008/8/24 21:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
did u get a chance to measure the rod????

Posted on: 2008/9/1 9:55
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Sorry, I just installed the new adapter to the lock cylinder and reassembled the unit without remembering that you wanted a measurement.

Posted on: 2008/9/1 13:25
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved