Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
209 user(s) are online (126 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 209

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Future Projects Of Packard V8 Club Members
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I decided to start this thread for people who would like to name a project that they will/are/would like to be doing. Basically, now that we have done the Olds oil pump conversion, the SN60 Supercharged Packard V8, and I'm presently working on the AOD-T/U, I was wondering if anyone else might have any ideas, or suggestions for future projects of the Packard V8 Club, with an accompanying how-to article to be posted there. Any and all suggestions will be welcomed! No awards for "best project", just an enshrinement in the Packard V8 Club Hall Of Fame!

Posted on: 2007/1/4 8:39
 Top  Print   

Re: Future Projects Of Packard V8 Club Members
Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Eric, IMHO it shoule be called a a Melling Oil pump conversion, and NOT an Oldsmobile pump conversion. Too many will get their panties in a bunch if we continue to call the project a Olds conversion. The pump is made by Melling and is adaptatable to Packards. Maybe more Packard V8 folks will be interested if we refer to it that way?

Kevin
Tucson

Posted on: 2007/1/5 23:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Anyone interested in the conversion will sooner or later by some way or means determine that it IS an Olds pump. If one is proned to get get a wad in their panties then they will anyway.

On the other hand, attempting to hide, mask or any other method of sidestepping the fact that it is originaly fab'ed for Olds mite raise suspicion by prospective buyers as to WHY. Covering up the fact that it is an Olds pump is strictly an auto dealer/manufacturer tactic that would understandably be construe as shady at best if not a complete misrepresentation.
In my case, i would NEVER opt for the conversion if i thot or conjured the thot that the pump itself was Packard specific meaning perhaps not readily available from local parts stores.
NEVER cover up information!!!

Posted on: 2007/1/6 9:17
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Bottom line Keith, it is a Melling pump manufactered by MELLING not Oldsmobile! No cover up intended.

Posted on: 2007/1/6 21:20
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Though the high-volume pump is not an OE GM part, it was designed and manufactured by MELLING specifically for the OLDS V-8. Only through the efforts of the members of The Packard V-8 Club is a conversion possible to extend that application to the PACKARD V-8.

Since the PV8C only supplies the components needed for adaptation, they buyer is gonna find out that it's an Olds pump when they go to their local parts store to order one. Might as well be up-front about it and call it the Melling/Olds oil pump conversion - rather than come off like something is being swept under the rug. Haven't we seen too much of that (elsewhere) in the hobby in recent years?

If people don't like the idea of putting a "non-Packard" part on their car, they're free to do as they please, but it's better that they know in advance of a purchase like this. Of course, informed consumers like us know that there are some other "solutions" that are just temporary, at best.

What's in a name, anyway? I think V8 owners will be more interested in hearing about the long-term effectiveness of the solution, compared to others - and so far, so good.

Posted on: 2007/1/6 23:39
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

John
See User information
I'm planing a full air ride suspension on my 55 Clipper. The goal for me is to get the rockers as close to the ground as possable. I'll take pics and post them here for you guys.

Posted on: 2007/1/6 23:44
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Is your car not equipped with Torsion-Level suspension?

Posted on: 2007/1/7 0:16
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

John
See User information
I was glad to see that my car doesn't have the torsion-level suspension. It looks very air bag friendly I'm not adding the air ride for comfort just for adjustable ride height. I want it to sit low.

Posted on: 2007/1/7 0:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
It's too bad your car doesn't have Torsion Level, as the ride's better than any air bag could ever be.

As for the Olds oil pump conversion, I'm afraid that it's going to have to stay with the same name, we've known it as that for so long, it would be a shame to change the name now. If we change it to anything, I'm thinking "The PV8C oil pump conversion". I'm not giving either Melling or Oldsmobile credit to what has to be the best thing to happen to Packard V8's since they were developed in the '50s, that a few inventive members of The Packard V8 Club developed, and put into production. If Melling were to come out with a direct bolt on Packard V8 pump, that would be another story entirely.

Also, there's no cover-up intended for anyone on what we do at the Packard V8 Club. All that we do (more or less, some things that we do with our significant others are less public!) will be displayed on the PV8C site in due time. I still have to take more pics and do a write up on the supercharger installation, and start documenting my AOD trans modifications, whew! It's a lot of work to be in a club!

Posted on: 2007/1/8 8:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
A little update to the AOD-T/U project:

I have found a suitable O/D unit off of my old '53 Clipper that I have rusting away. It has a far shorter tailshaft than the T-85OD trans that I have, so I'll be using it for the o/d automatic. I'll keep you all posted as things progress, but it's looking pretty good so far!

Posted on: 2007/2/12 12:41
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved