Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
256 user(s) are online (143 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 254

BigKev, packard1949, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1956 Clipper Hub Caps
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill Clay
See User information
Although I've been around Packards most of my adult life, I need some help. My neighbor a few streets over received a 1956 Clipper from his elderly uncles estate.
The car hadn't been run since 1967 when it was put away in a garage.tThe new owner contacted me about getting it running. Which we did with some difficulty.
I digress , on this car it has "dog dish" hub cabs with these really cool trim rings. When you look, you don't see valve stems, they are hidden by these extra wide trim rings. To access the valve stems you have to pull on the trim ring in a outward effort. They are attached to the wheel by four little hinges connected by four short arms which must be spring steel.
I have never seen this equipment before or since. Is this common on the Clipper models in 1956?

Posted on: 2013/12/7 17:59
"I have a great memory for forgetting things"
Lee Chan
 Top  Print   

Re: 1956 Clipper Hub Caps
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Quote:
...it has "dog dish" hub cabs with these really cool trim rings. When you look, you don't see valve stems, they are hidden by these extra wide trim rings. To access the valve stems you have to pull on the trim ring in a outward effort. They are attached to the wheel by four little hinges connected by four short arms which must be spring steel.
I have never seen this equipment before or since. Is this common on the Clipper models in 1956?

While I've not seen them up close and in person, such trim rings are featured in a showroom catalog on dealer-installed accessories. You can download the 1956 Accessories Booklet from this site's extensive archive of Literature and Manuals (it's FREE). They also appear in the Accessories section of the 1956 Salesmen's Data (Fact) Book.

These trim rings were even available as optional equipment in regular production - as noted in the 1956 Build Sheet and Production Code Chart that I compliled form factory-issued Trade Letters. However, they're only listed for Clipper Deluxe and Super models, where the small (dog dish) hubcaps were standard equipment. Full wheel covers were standard fare on Clipper Custom and the Senior line, but optional on Deluxe and Super.

I never noticed it before, but the illustrations don't shows any opening for a tire valve stem on either the chrome or white enamel trim rings. Perhaps others with more experience will chime in on the hidden details of these trim rings.

Posted on: 2013/12/7 18:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave Brownell
See User information
My 1956 Esquire hardtop has the optional "wire" hubcaps and they have the valveless trim rings that are held on by spring steel clips that clip directly onto the wheel lip. They also have black rubber bushings on each clip, presumably to be an anti-rattle. These wire wheel covers are beautiful, but they're a PITA if you like things kept clean. As a result, I will do most anything rather than drive this car in the rain because the clean up will take hours.

But these caps do pull nicely away from the wheel, presumably to do something like check air pressure. You just pull the whole unit away, then snap it back when you're done. With the "dog dishes", I'd presume that the rims are not held at all in place by the center hub caps. Most unusual but it works well enough for me. There was a set of the wire caps on ebay recently for a Buy it Now price of $1200. That means I will be very careful with mine.

Posted on: 2013/12/7 20:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill Clay
See User information
Thank you for the information!
They really work well, just have to watch your fingers!
This Clipper has the chrome version trim rings which works well with the hub caps. Really looks smooth with no valve stems showing. I noticed that there are slots in the wheel where the clips connect. I guess the wheels would be part of the trim ring accessory package.

Posted on: 2013/12/7 20:18
"I have a great memory for forgetting things"
Lee Chan
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved