Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
220 user(s) are online (144 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 219

JW49, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Windshield washer
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Lowell Fast
See User information
What was the first year that a vacuum windshield washer was available?

Posted on: 2013/12/28 22:59
1939 - 120 ,4 dr / overdrive
 Top  Print   

Re: Windshield washer
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Believe it might be the 20th series. April 1, 1942 Service Counselor has this article mentioning the new accessory.

Packard didn't provide many details so the question might be if theirs was vacuum operated or just a foot or hand pump operated device.

The unit is mentioned again in SC's for the 21st series and a photo of a vacuum operated device is in the 22nd series acc. catalog. Some ebay vendors have the same Trico unit Packard pictured in 48 listed as being on GM prewar cars so chances are it was the same and vacuum.

Sure wish the list price for those ebay items was still the same as Packard mentioned.

Attach file:

jpg  (33.02 KB)
209_52bfaa78e8947.jpg 375X467 px

Posted on: 2013/12/28 23:52
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Lowell Fast
See User information
Thanks Howard,
I was aware GM had them in 39 and I hoped Packard did also. Located the reservoir in an Atlanta shop but did not want to "dress up" my 39 120 with a later accessory.

Lowell

Posted on: 2013/12/29 1:14
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The way the accessory is promoted to the dealers as a safety and high profit feature and to be suggested to customers, who is to say an enterprising individual didn't sell one to a good customer driving a 39 when the washer was introduced. IMO, if you want to add one it could be justified.

It could be just like the 51's equipped with power brakes which didn't officially arrive until 52 or the pre 49 cars equipped with the R11 overdrive. There was a campaign, instructions and a kit to retrofit those items to the earlier cars so I wouldn't think a washer on an earlier car could be considered any less "correct".

Posted on: 2013/12/29 9:36
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Lowell Fast
See User information
Does't take much to "justify" another project.
Thanks

Posted on: 2013/12/29 21:14
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved