Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
214 user(s) are online (148 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 213

SteveP516, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: oil leak at rear of engine
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Hall
See User information
The sneaky pete did not work for me. Sounds easy, but its a different story when you actually try to do it. I spent about half a day trying to get the rope in, before deciding to abort and try something else.

Posted on: 2014/1/16 20:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Joe, looks like i am going the rubber route,,

at the shop they found a piston ring that fits for gap, and a snug push in, all i need to do is cut the ring at surface, its a pain right now to up load pictures from phone, but will get pictures. and will mic ring, and od, no idea what car it came from. its chromed ..

Posted on: 2014/1/17 0:47
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Hall
See User information
The ring sounds like a great idea, as long as it lays in the outer circumference of the recess and not the inner toward the crank surface.
Also, the spacer can go on either side of the seal, and gives the ability to shift the seal fore or aft .100" to place the lip on the best surface area of the crank. Many Packard V8 cranks have surface imperfections in the seal area. Don't forget to scuff the crank surface with 320 grit paper, as the old carbon seal makes the surface mirror like, which is not good for seating the neoprene seal.

I also used a file to "hit" the (four) ends of the new seal about half dozen strokes each, to remove the molding imperfections, as are visible on the seal posted above. Once perfectly flat, I used a very small dab of non-hardening Permatex on each end (careful not to get it on the seal lip). That may have been overkill, but seemed like a good idea. I also applied a very thin layer of that Permatex on the outer edge of the seal, where it bottoms out in the recess.

If running an Olds pump, there is another detail, but I will not bother you with that for now, unless you say you plan to run one.

Joe

Posted on: 2014/1/17 7:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Joe, here we go thickness of ring is .060

Attach file:

jpg  (21.94 KB)
4498_52d98940a33c0.jpg 633X288 px

jpg  (46.94 KB)
4498_52d98a26d7453.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2014/1/17 14:50
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Hall
See User information
That ring looks like it was made for the job, except .060" seems a little thin. I'd look for something to take up another .030-.040". Maybe an oil ring rail from the same piston set. You don't want to give the seal any wiggle room.

Posted on: 2014/1/17 19:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
A 5/64" ring is .078" thick.

jack vines

Posted on: 2014/1/18 0:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Hi, jack,

A packard ring 3-1/2 inch dia. would work, the rear main has the round V groove my 2 rings a little tight, fills the gap at top, but tight on bottom. an oil ring the thin one would get it close to a 100..

looks like i am going rubber rear rubber ft. packard most likely would of got off the rope at some point.

of coarse fel pro could make a replacement for packard.

joe, there is a slight movement side to side, not much, with the 60.

but going back out to shop tomorrow to hunt down some used rings,

Posted on: 2014/1/18 1:18
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Reyman R. Branting
See User information
Is the Fel Pro BS 60413 the correct one? Riki mentioned it didn't look quite right.

Bernardi

Posted on: 2014/1/20 14:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
b, that part no. was in parts ref, here is how i did it, the ring is .o93, part no. 4009,,or 4006,, was able to use just one ring cut in 2.

i did use RTV, before and after, after to fill in space where ring is,

then put on main, let sit over night , took it off, filled in gap, put main on, left it. torque all mains.

won't know till fire up whats gonna happen.

Attach file:

jpg  (35.05 KB)
4498_52dda7d483ff7.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (37.58 KB)
4498_52dda7f398197.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (38.07 KB)
4498_52dda870f3919.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2014/1/20 17:50
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Today at the shop, I don't have any I8 Packards apart, so I found a flathead Ford V8 3.25" piston ring to be perfect for the rear main seal spacer. A set of eight used pistons gives sixteen rings and I'll be set for the foreseeable future.

jack vines

Posted on: 2014/1/29 1:55
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved