Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
119 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 119

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 1956 Executive Discussion / Comments
Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
Yes, I have also looked long & hard for an Exec as well. If the front clip-less car is NW of Chicago, don't bother as it is not restorable. There is a sorta rough 2Dr near the Twin Cities that I have inspected & a very clean, solid & someone faded 4 Dr near Green Bay that has a great deal of merit. I am happy to share info if you wish.

Posted on: 2014/7/16 16:17
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
What makes a car not restorable?

Posted on: 2014/7/16 17:45
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
"What makes a car not restorable?"

I expect this question is rhetorical.
A certain 275 GTB once owned by some actor is coming up for auction soon and given each 12 of the spark plugs, a new vehicle could be created from each plug and all for less than the auction estimates of the one car!.
In the case of the car I looked at, the missing sheet metal, quality assembly, paint & chrome would easily run 20K. Then you need an interior & drive train.
A really nice & sorted 55-56 Senior car can be had for 20K.
Just Sayin'

Posted on: 2014/7/16 19:41
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BryanMoran
See User information
Sorry. I am on a business trip but received the photos shortly before leaving. They were printed on paper.

This is the Chicago suburb car IF the one you are referring to is yellow and white.

Yes, missing the front clip, engine missing, transmission missing. Body is solid.

This would be a good rebody candidate. The seller indicated I could purchase the front clip, the engine, etc from the parts fellow in Duluth.

But, as soon as I do, the parts guy will know I need the front clip, drivetrain etc and the price of admission would be pretty high I am sure.

I knew this going in but with a few days to let my better sense prevail, and 35 years of collecting weighing on my spider sense I will pass. A person might be better off getting the 1st production 55 Patrician rather then buying the parts for this car.

That said, it does give carte blanche to someone to drop a 374 in that engine bay and get a fast junior car, and I suppose the 2 are visually similar you could put Clipper decals where applicable.

This car was meant to fill a 2 car garage next to a very special Prewar CCCA Packard project coming in, as a 1-2 punch where I could tag team the restorations when one bogged down and was frustrating I could work on the other, then in a few years have 2 restored Packards to enjoy.

But I can buy any number of post war Packard projects, all complete and worthwhile, for $1000 or less where if I start with the yellow/white Executive, $1000 is the price of admission, Dulinski (I think that is his name) will want $2000 for the front clip, radiator, engine, trans, etc, at least.

I pretty much know what car #2 is going to be but I am still clearing some space out, car inventory wise, then I will pull the trigger.

But, with the ability to step back away from it for awhile, I will pass on the Executive. It can be restored, and like the 1st production 55 Patrician, it should be grabbed by someone. Great senior grille, last year, heck, probably last 2 months of Detroit production car.

Posted on: 2014/7/17 9:28
I restore the car, and the car restores me.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve203
See User information
<i>Yes, missing the front clip, engine missing, transmission missing. Body is solid.</i>

Thanks for the update. Yup, sounds like it's a moneypit. Enough money can fix anything, but this just doesn't sound like it's worth it. With that many major parts gone, probably plenty else has been stripped, and some of those parts may be unobtanium.

With decent looking, running, cars around for low 5 figures....like the 56 Clipper hard top in Staunton, IL for under $12K, there is no reason to look at a divorce inducer like that Executive.

Posted on: 2014/7/18 16:37
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
i think the exe, clipper 56, would of looked better with the 55-56 sr rear bumper,, i like the tsil light, but i think it would look better with the 55-56 sr rear bumper, i would some how mod the bumper if i still had our 56 clipper, which i put the pack grill on front, and fenders from a 4 dr exe we had.

Posted on: 2014/7/18 18:46
Riki
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Roadster
See User information
Here is a 56 Executive 4 door Sedan out of Saratoga NY. Sounds like a solid 2nd owner car with 42,000 miles. Original owner was a Packard Dealer in Mass. Here is the link:

http://albany.craigslist.org/cto/4572434036.html

Posted on: 2014/7/18 22:12
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Fyreline
See User information
Is it just me, or does that Saratoga car look like it could be a stand-in for a Russian Chaika in a cold-war movie? Just sayin' . . .

Posted on: 2014/7/19 7:46
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved