Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
230 user(s) are online (127 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 230

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Torsion Ride Question
Home away from home
Home away from home

55 NC Clipper
See User information
Hi all. I have been struggling putting this torsion ride back together after it sat in a field for close to 20 yrs. It has all been gone through and tested. What I have found is this. I had it leveling correctly, the only issue was that the timer has gone out on it and it doesn't wait the 7 seconds to actuate. It does it immediately but once it is level it stays there. I started driving the car around and it levels a couple of times and then stops, it goes nose down and stays that way and will not level. I thought the fuse blew again but when I went out there the next day and I hooked up the battery it leveled out agian. So I was thinking that it was overheating and stopping and waiting to cool down, maybe not. I am kinda lost here on this one.

Thanks
Bill

Posted on: 2014/12/2 8:47
 Top  Print   

Re: Torsion Ride Question
Home away from home
Home away from home

Troy Taylor
See User information
when you park after your drive, and it is still staying nose down, have you tried to add weight to the rear and see if it levels? If it does, it could be a simple limit switch adjustment.

Posted on: 2014/12/2 15:26
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Can you expand on "it has been gone through"?

Were the upper A arms rubber bushing replaced?

Posted on: 2014/12/2 20:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55 NC Clipper
See User information
I did not replace the front contol arm bushings, We went throught the motor, new solenoids, replaced the wiring and checked and cleaned the boxes. I was going to see if it was leveling all the time running down the road before doing the control arms.

After the drive when it did not work I did stand on the rear to get it to engage and it did not work, I made sure I stood there for at least 7 seconds.

Thanks
Bill

Posted on: 2014/12/3 8:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave Brownell
See User information
As I have said before, like me, the 58 year old TL system seems to take longer doing anything. My seven second delay is about fifteen, I'd guess. But it still seems to work reasonably well. One of my bigger fixes for my system was replacing the brake light sender switch. Slow but good is not half bad after almost six decades.

Posted on: 2014/12/3 10:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Check with a test light to make sure you have not lost continuity through the limit switch. If that is OK, then its time to take the control box off and clean the contacts again.

Posted on: 2014/12/3 15:50
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved