Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
214 user(s) are online (138 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 213

TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

A minor Packard mystery
Home away from home
Home away from home

Stewart Ballard
See User information
I just stumbled across this tonight and decided to share. One link lead to another and he I am. I apologize if its already been posted here and some of you may already know the story.

http://www.macsmotorcitygarage.com/2014/12/24/a-minor-packard-mystery/

Posted on: 2014/12/28 18:18
Stewart Ballard
 Top  Print   

Re: A minor Packard mystery
Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve203
See User information
Thanks for the post. Another interesting tidbit.

Posted on: 2014/12/29 11:45
 Top  Print   

Re: A minor Packard mystery
Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

Stewart wrote:
I just stumbled across this tonight and decided to share. One link lead to another and he I am. I apologize if its already been posted here and some of you may already know the story.

http://www.macsmotorcitygarage.com/2014/12/24/a-minor-packard-mystery/

Some of this "Packard mystery" contains some passages of info/writing not credited to the actual source. Let you guess about this.

Anyway, the so-called "mystery"continues to turn up all over the internet and in publications numerous times-sometimes with people jumping in and making some pretty wild guesses. However, it is no mystery at all. In fact, anyone who has read the history of the Predictor in The Packard Cormorant magazine (issue #131, Summer 2008) from the Packard Club will know exactly what this photo is and where it was taken, etc., etc. The entire accurate history of this car is in that issue... including explanation of the photo. No guessing needed and no mystery at all.

In fact, the article also has a link to the Packard Club web site where there is an original film clip video (in color) actually showing the uncrating of the Predictor in January, 1956 in the styling studios on East Grand Blvd. after the car was received back from Ghia in Italy.

The photo in question merely shows the Predictor sitting in the driveway of 3050 East Outer Drive in Detroit. What was this address? Today-a vacant lot. But in Predictor's time, the headquarters of Creative Industries of Detroit (the company's proper name at the time). Yours truly sat many times behind those very windows overlooking the driveway. And many, many other Packards (especially concepts) were parked in this same driveway back in the 1950s... on a regular basis. Used to see them all the time.

WHY was the Predictor sitting in Creative's Driveway? Because Creative was busy setting the car up to be shown at auto shows. Creative also did all of the maintenance on the car and repaired all of the messy electrical problems that were quickly discovered after the car was uncrated at the Packard factory on East Grand Blvd.

By the way, a serious new book is presently being written about the history of Creative Industries of Detroit and the author-while very knowledgeable about the company-is currently looking for more photos and info.

Posted on: 2014/12/30 2:52
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved