Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
196 user(s) are online (123 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 194

DaveJr, 53 Cavalier, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 20 21 22 (23) 24 25 26 ... 148 »

Re: Stewart's 1955 Packard 400
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Also, I had to use a ball peen hammer and a dimpled dolly to slightly dent the oil pan from the inside to allow clearence for the pump.

Posted on: 2015/1/3 19:25
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stewart Ballard
See User information
I have not replaced the lower bushings. The popular opinion here is to leave the originals alone unless there is visible damage. Mine are rough on the exterior, which is normal. There is no indication that the interior is in bad shape.
I have loosened up the bolts on the bushings to neutralize the suspension until I get the engine and body back on the frame..

Posted on: 2015/1/3 19:57
Stewart Ballard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Stewart...........with what I'm about to write and 3 bucks you can get a cup of Joe somewhere.....that said.....replace the lowers........you are there now. I replaced everything I could.

Posted on: 2015/1/3 20:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Troy Taylor
See User information
Agreed, my lowers were checked and cracked on the outside, Inside rubber was tight, but while I was down, it all came out. Kanter is kinda correct, Do it once.

Posted on: 2015/1/3 20:24
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stewart Ballard
See User information
Dang it! That was going to save me $80. Its not much but how often do we save money on Packard parts.

I'll attempt to press them out next time I am in the shop. I know Max has replacements.

We are expecting really low temps this week so it may be next week before I can get back out there. When it gets down in the teens I don't like wasting kerosene trying to warm it up out there. to bad I can't heat with gasoline. That's only $1.89 here right now.

Posted on: 2015/1/4 11:24
Stewart Ballard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
to bad I can't heat with gasoline.

Maybe one of the early Corvair gasoline heaters will fall into your lap. Those things had a fairly potent blower and would turn the inside of the car into a sauna in no time at all. Even though there was a knob labeled temperature, the one that was in a 60 or 61 model Dad had for a short time seemed to have only two settings -- off and roast. He got rid of the car when Mom refused to drive it anymore. Apparently a nut loosened or was never there because the steering wheel came off as she was driving down the road.

Posted on: 2015/1/4 12:03
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Troy Taylor
See User information
Hey Stewart, how is your temps holding? We are bucking -18, -33 wind chill, I am shut down, no heat working in that in the garage. In the interim, I am buying up many rebuildable components on the cheap for spare or resale, got to keep busy.

Posted on: 2015/1/7 22:51
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stewart Ballard
See User information
TROYT
It was -3 at 6:30 this morning with no windchill difference.
This is the coldest yet this winter. I have an oil heater down in the well house. I am not letting the well freeze up on me like last winter.

I have some parts on order but no plans to do anything with them until it warms back up some.

Posted on: 2015/1/8 7:42
Stewart Ballard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stewart Ballard
See User information
Got the Axle shafts out today. Looked all over town for anything that had 7/8-14 threads and all I got was the one lone nut I found a couple weeks ago. Big box stores, little box store, construction equipment and auto parts. No one had it.

I remember that I had a few dumb bell weights so with those, some all thread and that one nut I finally got them out. Only took about 3 or 4 good whacks to do the job.

Should the pinion gear assembly lift off at this point or I need whack it also?

I really have no desire to dig into this thing. I am just opening it up and make sure there is not old gunk in there and then planning to put it back together. I will replace the seals and bearing for the shafts but that is all. Everything else seems to be OK.

Attach file:

jpg  (95.28 KB)
5209_54b2fe78d0ab3.jpg 1225X855 px

jpg  (76.78 KB)
5209_54b2fe80b72a8.jpg 1225X559 px

jpg  (99.73 KB)
5209_54b2fe88e27da.jpg 857X1225 px

Posted on: 2015/1/11 17:52
Stewart Ballard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stewart Ballard
See User information
I received the new lower inner bushings from Max late last week. I have been inspecting the existing bushings and can not figure out how I am to press them out.

My only other alternative is to beat them with a pneumatic hammer. Anyone else ever press them out. If so I could use a hint.

Attach file:

jpg  (129.08 KB)
5209_54b5b87309de2.jpg 1197X1225 px

jpg  (87.96 KB)
5209_54b5b87c8ca9a.jpg 929X1225 px

Posted on: 2015/1/13 19:30
Stewart Ballard
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 20 21 22 (23) 24 25 26 ... 148 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved