Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
214 user(s) are online (124 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 214

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1929 senior car muffler brackets
Home away from home
Home away from home

John Wogec
See User information
Hello everybody,

I have a sixth series senior car (Seven Passenger Sedan, 145 inch wheelbase). I am trying to do an authentic restoration. Fortunately I have a very complete car to start with. Unfortunately, my grandfather who bought the car in 1930 was a blacksmith by training, so he didn't hesitate to "make" parts that he thought were better suited to the job than those designed by the Packard brothers.

Well, at some point Grandpa turned his attention to the muffler brackets (both front and rear) that attach to the frame cross members. My rear bracket is long gone, and the front mount was clearly manufactured by Grandpa. I suspect this because the three factory cut holes in the front cross member that were used for the bracket are empty, and grandpa cut a hole about two inches above the three aforementioned holes where he installed his "new and improved" version of the bracket.

Would anyone who has what appears to be original muffler hardware be willing to post photos of the front and rear muffler brackets? I have no idea what they look like and the parts manual does not have pictures of them. Much thanks in advance.

John Wogec

Posted on: 2015/2/11 15:18
 Top  Print   

Re: 1929 senior car muffler brackets
Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidM
See User information
John,
I have attached some photos of the front and back muffler supports on a 1930 740 which I would expect would be the same or similar to your 645.

The muffler has studs welded to each end, the front 2 studs bolt directly into the cross member, the rear 2 studs bolt to a simple angle bracket that bolts to the cross member.

I also have a 633 which has a very similar muffler supports.

David

Attach file:

jpg  (101.29 KB)
579_54dbe0a142365.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (136.27 KB)
579_54dbe0bd4e411.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (88.53 KB)
579_54dbe262414ad.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2015/2/11 18:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Wogec
See User information
Hi David,

Thanks very much for replying. Your photos, along with a review of page 80 of the parts list show the same configuration as your photos reflect, part #163235 - muffler with two studs exiting in the front, and part #163226 - rear muffler bracket. Perhaps grandpa replaced the muffler at some point with an aftermarket part that didn't have the studs, so he added the bracket. He did all sorts of things like that on this car. One question: what goes in that third hole on my frame...any ideas?

Attach file:

jpg  (57.80 KB)
4844_54dbf49666e5e.jpg 720X1280 px

jpg  (21.08 KB)
4844_54dbf4b6648d4.jpg 1280X923 px

Posted on: 2015/2/11 19:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidM
See User information
John,

Just had a look under both the 740 and 633 and neither have anything in that third hole. I would also be interested to know if something should be there.

David

Posted on: 2015/2/12 4:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Wogec
See User information
Hi David,

I am actually more comfortable knowing that your cars have all three holes. As for that third spot, my experience is that every hole in that frame has a reason for being there...seeing as I have stripped my car down to the bare frame, so I know what goes in each of those holes...except that one. I assumed the now non-existing "bracket" had three holes. Maybe some other 1929 era Packard expert can enlighten us both. Thanks for all your help. You have peeled back one more layer of the onion for me!

John Wogec

Posted on: 2015/2/12 14:06
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved