Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
116 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 115

HH56, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Overdrive install
Home away from home
Home away from home

RichieFuller
See User information
Hello guys, I'm gathering all the info I can before I start the conversion from non overdrive car to an R-11 in my 47 Clipper Deluxe. I have made a few phone calls to Packard experts and got some good info but am waiting to hear back from another two. My main concern is if the R-11 input shaft is the same as my non overdrive input shaft. I know I need my driveshaft shortened or get an overdrive driveshaft. I have the solenoid and governor and will handle the wiring and relays. Do I need a different trans cross member? The weather is getting warm and I need a project. Thanks very much in advance. Richie.

Attach file:

jpg  (151.95 KB)
44605_550dca34b415d.jpg 1260X945 px

jpg  (104.93 KB)
44605_550dca627ee5b.jpg 1260X945 px

Posted on: 2015/3/21 14:46
 Top  Print   

Re: Overdrive install
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You shouldn't need a new main crossmember at the trans but you will need the bracket to mount the OD lockout cable and will probably have to drill new holes for it on the driver side. The crossmember you may need is more of a plate that bolts to frame right before the X. It holds the snubber bar and the coil spring like rubber core insulator assy that goes under rear of OD, Not sure if your existing snubber rod assy and bracket will work with the the OD-- maybe the plate will but I think the OD rod version is different and maybe longer. You will need to find the insulator assy and possibly some shims or a spacer plate that goes between the OD and end of the insulator.

On the snubber there were apparently two types in 47. The original which was more like the prewar versions with something like tie rod ends -- rubber molded into a round ball like affair at each end of the rod and then this style which is what they switched to for 22nd on. A straight rod with replaceable rubber donut like bushings on each end

Attach file:

jpg  (16.69 KB)
209_550dd73298305.jpg 500X322 px

Posted on: 2015/3/21 15:40
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: Overdrive install
Home away from home
Home away from home

RichieFuller
See User information
Thank you Howard.

Posted on: 2015/3/21 15:54
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved