Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
104 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 104

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 55-56 Caribbean padded dash?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Much appreciated Ross. I always enjoy your insight.

Joel......replacing those bezels is not something I choose not to do again while the dash is in the car. I suspect 56 bezels, and the 55 variety I have experience with are the same. When my instrument cluster was removed, I found that the bezels were held gingerly in place by 'tabs' that are actually apart of the bezels themselves. These tabs needed to be slightly compressed in order for the bezel to be removed. These tabs are not flexible and they break quite easily. To put the bezel back in, I had to use a small screwdriver to spread, flare or open the tab ever so slightly. When done correctly, the tabs hold the bezels in place over the mesh. Pressure fitted as you suggest. I wonder how they accomplished this in the factory?Further, All of this is joyfully experienced while on your back, brake pedal in your neck and working in a dark confined space.

If there is a next time for me, the whole dash will get removed.

Posted on: 2015/6/5 9:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
Fortunately, my dash is out and I am completely redoing it. Thanks for the response.

Posted on: 2015/6/5 10:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

ewrecks
See User information
I changed the bezels on my dash while it was out of the car. It was no fun and I symathize with Kev if he tried doing it while the dash was in the car. I was not sure if the tabs would hold so I put a few dabs of clear silicone on the back side. Hopefully, the next owner will have to deal with removing them.
One aside- I swapped out all of the gauges but did not have the speedometer rebuilt since it seemed to be working. It doesn't work now and I am not looking forward to hanging upside down to swap it out now that the interior is installed. Might be worthwhile,to,avoid,my foible.

Posted on: 2015/6/5 20:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

56executive
See User information
Film on youtube on Padded dash

https://youtu.be/iQ_GtK7vpW8

Posted on: 2015/6/5 21:27
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved