Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
199 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 198

Bob J, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Oil pressure
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

smashburn
See User information
I am restoring a 1954 Cavalier. I finally got the engine started today which was a major accomplishment! Except I have no oil pressure! I guess I'll tackle the oil pump next but before I do does anyone have any words of advice?

Posted on: 2015/7/15 19:32
 Top  Print   

Re: Oil pressure
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If the pan has not been dropped and cleaned, several have found a considerable amount of sludge in the bottom of the pan. In a couple of cases enough to cover and clog the pickup screen. If you have confirmed no oil pressure then it would almost have to be pump, pickup or else a catastrophic internal leak somewhere.

If you are relying on the idiot light a possibility is the oil sender is bad or the wrong one. If you are using the light, I would suggest getting a mechanical gauge and see exactly what is happening now and in the future. Plumb it into one of the ports on the main gallery which runs the length of the block just above the pump. You could mount or even hide it in the engine compartment leaving it connected so you can refer to it if any issues arise.

Posted on: 2015/7/15 20:08
Howard
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

smashburn
See User information
Thanks Howard. I'm going to drop and clean it next week. See what I find in there. Thanks again for the great info!

Posted on: 2015/7/15 21:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
To illustrate what Howard says, here's a pic of the sludge in my oil pan. About 3/4" thick, partially plugging the floating pickup for the oil pump.

Attach file:

jpg  (39.56 KB)
34001_55a719c66066b.jpg 612X816 px

Posted on: 2015/7/15 21:41
1952 Model 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved