Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
214 user(s) are online (147 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 213

JD in KC, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Hydraulic pump for top and windows
Home away from home
Home away from home

1OF750
See User information
The pump (Dura Hydro-Lectric)on my car came with deep cup on pump. my buddy whos older than me and Moses, tells me a small cup pump will work don't have to be deep cup. I think the small cup pumps are for power window cars and the deep cup pump is for power windows and top. comments please.

Posted on: 2015/9/8 13:18
 Top  Print   

Re: Hydraulic pump for top and windows
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Believe the cup length is going to depend on the length of the pickup tube on the pump. If the tubes extend down X inches the cup will have to be a slight bit longer. Conversely if a short tube pump has a long cup there will be a lot of fluid in the cup that is not really needed.

The only fluid the cup has to hold is the amount the windows and seat cylinders hold plus a slight bit for contingency. Generally there will be that amount in the cup and then some space left over for expansion and a slight amount extra from the top cylinders. The top cylinders displace almost the same amount back to the cup as is needed to move the piston. What is on one side of the piston returns to the cup as more is added to the other side to move the piston. The portion above the piston will hold slightly less fluid because of the space taken up by the rod so when the top is down the cup has to hold an extra few ounces.

Posted on: 2015/9/8 13:26
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: Hydraulic pump for top and windows
Home away from home
Home away from home

1OF750
See User information
Howard
thanks
Ken

Posted on: 2015/9/8 13:34
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved