Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
184 user(s) are online (108 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 180

BigKev, todd landis, 37Blanche, Tom (Packin31), more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

flywheel cover 1948
Just popping in
Just popping in

thefargo
See User information
Hi all, just a quick question; I've been wondering why the flywheel cover on my 1948 series 22, is such a heavy cast, I've seen very 'flimsy' looking covers on other makes, and secondly, why does it bolt to the chassis, basically making the engine mount very rigid?

thanks in advance.

Posted on: 2015/10/24 19:28
 Top  Print   

Re: flywheel cover 1948
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
The heavy cast bottom completes the structural rigidity of the housing, and on overdrive equipped cars provides a place for the 5th trans bolt. If yours is bolted to the frame, something is wrong. The powerplant was mounted at one point in the front, and at both sides of the trans in rubber. Depending on the model and equipment there might be two more rubber auxiliary mounts near the front of the engine (Custom Eights), and a vertical rubber cylinder under the back of an overdrive.

Show us a picture of what you've got.

Posted on: 2015/10/24 21:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
The 5th bolt (bottom) is a real pain because one cannot remove the cover and inspect the clutch /throw out bearing without having to remove the rear transmission support.

Who came up with that idea!?!?!

Posted on: 2015/10/25 19:03
Bill,

Dedicated to keeping the man who owns one on the road!!!
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

thefargo
See User information
thanks for your replies, I will try to get a pic up asap.
It's in pieces, it wasn't on the car when I got it, so I don't know how it was, just know where it looks like it wants to go.
I hope that makes sense.

Posted on: 2015/10/26 2:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
If you look at my video on youtube.comhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vk_x2yp7F2k I show how I took off my Clutch Cover maybe that will help.
Wes

Posted on: 2015/10/26 6:23
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved