Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
98 user(s) are online (79 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 98

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Patrician trunk handle came off
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

xnode
See User information
Looks like trunk handle came completely out. Now I cannot open the trunk. Is there an easy way out or do I have to go through the back seat?

Posted on: 2015/10/29 4:08
 Top  Print   

Re: Patrician trunk handle came off
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave Brownell
See User information
It sure would be helpful to know the year Patrician you're asking about. I had a similar situation last year with my 1956 and was able to work through the opened back seat, move all of the trunk contents aside, and paste together about eight extensions with a socket and unbolt the two lower bracket bolts securing the lock. It took a while and a steady hand.

The trunk lock mechanism for a 1956 senior is different from a 1955 and earlier designs. It's clever in its operation (I almost never lock it because an unknowing person would not figure out the two stage operation of opening it...and true Packard folks would not be stealing anyway). But it is dependent on one small nut not working itself loose. Mine now has a LockTite coating on the shaft. There's also a linkage involved that might come undone. Since this is unique to the 56s cars, I call it my last tribute to Jim Nance for his contribution of a completely different deck lid design. It is also a reminder not to randomly store unnecessary junk in the trunk.

Posted on: 2015/10/29 7:41
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

xnode
See User information
Thanks, it's a 56 patrician. I kinda thought that was what I had to do, but didn't want to think about it.

Posted on: 2015/10/29 8:53
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If you use the "search" tool you'll find other threads on the breakage of the trunk latch mechanism and how others have dealt with making it more secure. Often the "adapter" which is die-cast and rotates to lift the link breaks.

Posted on: 2015/10/29 10:32
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

xnode
See User information
DaveB845 was right. The nut came off the end of the latch inside of the trunk. Looks like I'll be stretching with 5 or six extensions to reach the nuts on the latch. I'm going to invest in some LockTite.

Posted on: 2015/10/30 0:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
Same thing happened to me on my 1956 400. I went through the package tray so I would not damage the patterned cardboard behind the seat. Use duct tape where you join the extensions. It does not take too long to remove the two bolts.

Posted on: 2015/10/30 7:27
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

xnode
See User information
Would you happen to know what size socket?

Posted on: 2015/10/31 22:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave Brownell
See User information
It is a 7/16 bolt on the U shaped bracket to the bottom mount. But be careful, except in very dry climates, these bolts may rust in place after sixty years and may snap off. I had a devil of a time tapping one out to replace it, even when the trunk lid was open.

Posted on: 2015/11/1 17:21
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

xnode
See User information
Success! Fairly easy operation with help of the forum. The package tray was the tip. With that removed, two screws and persistence it was done in 10 minutes. That Phillips screw on the handle is hidden, so one would not know if it was loose. Thanks to all in this forum for your time and answers.

Posted on: 2015/11/4 12:05
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved