Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
104 user(s) are online (42 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 104

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: '49 Limousine
Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi Kevin

"I was just wondering as to if most or all came in a standard configuration, i.e color, interior options etc. or if the could be special ordered by the buyer at the dealer? Mine was originally black with black leather/ leatherette front compartment with a beige broadcloth interior in the rear. It's still a long way off before I get to that point but I would like to go with another color and maybe a brown leather front seat and door panels. I would just like to get some input, Thanks!"

As the composition professors always advised to answer the original questions, and we did get a tad off track onto 23rd Series rarity, here is what Mr. Neal listed for the 22nd Series Super Eight long wheelbase models, pages 227 and 228:

Body---Model------------------Upholstery Options
2276 Super Eight Limousine 76-77 Note 1
2277 Super Eight 7-passenger 76-77
2270 Deluxe Super Eight Limousine 401-402-403-404 Note 1
2271 Deluxe Super Eight 7-passenger 401-402-403-404

Note 1: Driver's seat trimmed in black leather
76: Gray striped broadcloth
77: Tan striped broadcloth, three stripes
401: Tan shadow check broadcloth for body cloth with plain tan broadcloth for side walls and light tan broadcloth for headlining.
402: Green shadow check broadcloth for body cloth with plain green broadcloth for side walls and light tan broadcloth for headlining.
403: Blue shadow check broadcloth for body cloth with plain blue broadcloth for side walls and light tan broadcloth for headlining.
404: Maroon shadow check broadcloth for body cloth with plain maroon broadcloth for side walls and light tan broadcloth for headlining.

The 401 through 404 combinations are also those only applied to the 2250 Custom Eight limousine and 2251 Custom Eight 7-passenger sedan. Though no specific note is made of leather color choices for these models, extra costs options such as leather upholstery in closed cars were available. A set number 824 tan leather and 524 tan leather in combination with Bedford cord are listed.

It depends on how strictly authentic you plan to adhere to the build sheet, if found. Special orders by dealers were always an option though how often it took place with the long wheelbase cars is the question.

Others might take issue, but I'd opine if you apply reasonably conservative taste when choosing as long-wheelbase cars were generally finished then, something like a maroon exterior with brown leather and tan Bedford cord in the original pattern, you will have a Packard to be very proud of and pleased with. If you plan to go for club judging, you'll want to stick strickly with the known combinations.

Good luck and please keep us apprised of your progress.

Steve

Posted on: 2016/1/17 19:00
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print   

Re: '49 Limousine
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

kleroy
See User information
Thanks for the input guys! From what I've read there were about 850 Super 8 limousines built. There is another one listed here on the registry supposedly owned by Mae West. Also that limos serial number is only seven later than mine, so they were probably built on the same day. Actually I wasn't really a fan of the '48-50 Packards at first, but the look has kind of grown on me and I think that the extra length of the LWB series does a lot to improve the appearance. My dads very first car was a 1947 Clipper and I would have liked a 39-40, but this one came along at $2500 and I couldn't pass it up!
As for restoration, I don't have the plans or resources to do a judging quality car. I want to as much of the work as I can by myself, the good news is the previous owner had the engine rebuilt. I will be trying to stay as authentic as possible as well, using a correct Packard color for that year as well as a close as possible to original style interior. I would just like to go with a different color, most likely a blue or green and to use brown leather in the front instead of black, but we'll se, It's going to be awhile before I get that far.
Kevin

Posted on: 2016/1/20 22:00
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved