Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
221 user(s) are online (159 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 218

JD in KC, Tobs, 37Blanche, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Radial tires
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Alvin14
See User information
I'm thinking about switching from bias ply tires to radials on my 1955 400.
Does anyone have experience with Coker's American Classic radial bias look tires? If so, what are your impressions?
With thanks for any/all replies.
Alvin 14

Posted on: 2016/2/28 15:09
 Top  Print   

Re: Radial tires
Home away from home
Home away from home

ewrecks
See User information
I have been using the Coker American Classics on all of my old cars for years. I currently have a set on my 55 Caribbean and although I have not put a great deal of miles on them, they appear to work as well on the Packard as they have on the other cars. I wish I had waited until Coker offered the radials with the sidewalks that look like the original bias ply tire but....
My experience with the tires on my other cars has been both better handling than bias ply and dramatically greater tore life. They are especially impressive in traversing grooved pavement.
I used bias ply tires on my 55 Cadillac for years and the tires seldom lasted 10,000 miles. Universal Tires introduced me to the radials and the nominal difference in price was well worth the investment.

Posted on: 2016/3/1 0:09
 Top  Print   

Re: Radial tires
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
Last fall I installed a set of American Classics 3 1/4-inch wide whitewalls on my '55 Clipper. These are the high-profile radials with the fluted edges that definitely can be mistaken for bias plies. Overall, the ride and handling is good, and properly inflated, gas economy is not bad either.

I purchased my tires from Lucas Tires in Los Angeles and had them shipped to Virginia where I had them installed at a Goodyear dealership. These tires are not cheap. They cost me $260 each!

Here is another thing to note: modern tire sellers use computer systems for aligning the front end of cars. This means that as the proud owner of a 60-year-old car, in all likelihood they will tell you that there is no way they can align the front end.

My Clipper was equipped with Diamond Back radials when I bought it in 2012. They were good tires, but last November one of the rear tires blew out. It seems it was the victim of dry rot, which affects tires of all ages. No matter how well you maintain your tires, eventually old age will catch up with them.

Posted on: 2016/3/1 8:55
You can make a lot of really neat things from the parts left over after you rebuild your engine ...
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved