Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
217 user(s) are online (107 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 215

BigKev, Peter Packard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1947 Packard pickup truck?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dan
See User information
I don't recall where I read/saw a reference to this vehicle, but a museum in Florida was supposed to have one.

Is it true? Does anyone have pictures/descriptions?

Posted on: 2008/12/8 15:47
 Top  Print   

Re: 1947 Packard pickup truck?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Packard ceased truck production about 1923. What we often see in vintage photos are trucks made by dealers for use as service cars. Often these were made from a wrecked or otherwise low value trade-in. Some of these are exceptionally good looking and I've got quite a few pictures of them which I'll look for.

But more recently several craftsmen have created "new" trucks to resemble the type of service trucks Packard dealers might have had. Enclosed is one example, owned by a well-known New Jersey collector. There are at least a dozen or more very professionally made creations such as this, quite a few of them on prewar junior chassis. Can't say however that I've seen one on a Clipper chassis.

Attach file:

jpg  (106.57 KB)
177_493d8b447e531.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2008/12/8 16:03
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Andy Kozarian of "Kozarian's Heating and Plumbing" in McKeesport, Pa. had a 53 Clipper made into a pickup truck and it was done very well. It looked like the rear of a Chevy or Ford cab was attched just behind the front seat. I could never figure out what kind of bed was attached - perhaps an El Camino. It was painted a medium green and although I didn't like the color, I did admire the bodywork that produced this "truck". Some one bought out Andy's business and relocated in White Oak but they knew nothing of the truck or its whereabouts. It may still be sitting in a garage in McKeesport. This would have been in the late fifties or early sixties.

Posted on: 2008/12/8 17:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Keep in mind that some of the "trucks" are nothing more than custom bodied flower cars from funeral homes.

Posted on: 2008/12/8 21:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dan
See User information
OK, the following site mentions the 1947 Packard "truck"...

http://southflorida.metromix.com/arts-culture/history/fort-lauderdale-antique-car-fort-lauderdale/127667/content

However, when I go to the Ft. Lauderdale Museum site, there's NO information regarding it.

Guess I'll have to call them...

Posted on: 2008/12/9 9:11
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
My friend Ross Miller in Maryland makes those trucks from cars that, as found, arne't going to get the full restoration treatment. He made that car pictured above and sold it to the well-known New Jersey collector, who then bought all new brightwork for the car and smarted it up.
His current PU is a '56 Clipper with T/L just the thing for when you are hauling home a heavy load.

did anyone read my post about Packard trucks and Eisenhower?

Posted on: 2008/12/9 11:30
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved