Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
237 user(s) are online (146 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 235

humanpotatohybrid, 29tons, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 1955-56 Senior instrument cluster
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Howard, thanks for the quick eval and recommendation. I ordered one and it will be here next Tuesday.

Craig

Posted on: 2016/9/7 15:43
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Thanks craig.

That buck looks good. I have used others for my model trains. And they work good.

Posted on: 2016/9/8 9:03
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
All:

I finally got around to testing the Drok 12V to 5V (adjustable) "transformer". The instruments now appear to move correctly, but the accuracy is unknown though. I'm going to replace the 3 senders.

Anyway, the original chopper was definitely broken and was providing 12V, not 5V average. So, you can use the Drok in place of it.

https://www.amazon.com/DROK-Waterproof-Converter-Adjustable-Transformer/dp/B00C0KL1OM/ref=pd_lpo_23_tr_img_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=Z7NH7WSSDW6GJXFD3VQ0

Craig

Posted on: 2016/9/20 12:40
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Excellent news. Does your meter have an amp scale where you could measure the current required by the 3 gauges? Am curious how much the heaters are pulling out of the regulator and with the constant 5 volts it would be easy to check.

Posted on: 2016/9/20 12:52
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Yes, my meter goes to 10A. I'll check it when I get the 3 new senders.

Craig

Posted on: 2016/9/20 15:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Thanks craig.

Hh. Knows i had same question..thanks for taking charge..

I think 3 amps is plenty. By looking at wiring diagram. Easy to install. At the fuse box. To bypass regulator

Thanks..

Posted on: 2016/9/20 16:06
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
I received the FG97A (JC Whitney #) fuel tank level sender and tested it with the Drok 12V to 5V transformer on my 56 400 instrument cluster fuel gauge. Both "E" and "F" are exactly indicated when the sender is bottomed and topped out. The reading in between seemed somewhat non-linear though.

This is the same part listed in the Xref (57 Ford).

I haven't purchased the OP or TEMP senders yet, but as I posted above those gauges do move when connected to the old senders and subjected to hot water (temp) or air pressure (oil)

Craig

Posted on: 2016/10/15 18:26
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Since the Packard method of testing all the gauges was to use a fuel sender I would expect the oil and temp senders would have a similar output to the standard 10-73 ohm range of the fuel sender. The OP6091 oil sender from Napa has been proven to work by several and the TS4 temp sensor seems to have a similar output in the working area of 125-212 degrees

One thing on the Ford fuel sender to check is the arm length. Apparently Ford still had two sizes of tanks in the 50s just like Packard had before 51. Some of the Ford senders have shorter arms for their small and I assume thinner tanks and will read incorrectly in our tanks.

Posted on: 2016/10/15 18:53
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved