Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
240 user(s) are online (132 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 240

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1939 Heater wiring
Home away from home
Home away from home

Chester Sams
See User information
I will attempt to post my pics but I need some help rewiring the blower motor. The wires were shoved behind the heater unit and not even connected to the switch. I have to give a shout out to all those that have helped me and to all for outing up with my Packard ignorance. Truly awesome cars and a truly awesome site thank all of you.

Attach file:

jpg  (93.55 KB)
141256_581a89193fd57.jpg 1080X1920 px

jpg  (212.51 KB)
141256_581a892c8305e.jpg 1920X1080 px

jpg  (160.65 KB)
141256_581a894438ab4.jpg 1152X2048 px

jpg  (189.53 KB)
141256_581a89d7c6251.jpg 1920X1080 px

Posted on: 2016/11/2 19:48
S&S Gas Works Garage LLC,Chester
 Top  Print   

Re: 1939 Heater wiring
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You might examine the ceramic switch back very carefully. Gently try to clean and see if any of the small round indentations near three of the terminals still contain a bit of paint. The dots were originally filled with the color of paint indicating color of wire to be connected to that terminal. The fused feed goes on the remaining terminal which is connecting to the resistance wires. One of the motor leads goes directly to ground for the fourth wire.

If none of the paint has survived, I can tell you how the switch works and provide diagrams of how the interconnection is made inside with the various positions. What I CANNOT tell you with absolute certainty is the motor wire colors. The motor I took apart to replace the wires had the fabric wiring. The colors had faded so badly all were just gray and it was impossible to tell which colors went to the field and which to armature. I used the 4 original colors and made mine work using a Packard schematic of the heater connected to a Clipper switch. That is a push pull type with no function labels. The rotary switch has to be wired to have the motor run in the proper direction to match the labels. If you can identify which pair of wires goes to the armature and which to the field it will be a simple matter to connect them.

In operation, the motor reverses. One direction causes the majority of air to exit the defroster tubes and the other direction blows air out the doors with a minimum going to defroster. The armature and field being separate, are connected in series inside the switch. Direction is determined by reversing two wires which changes the relationship between the armature and field. Either field or armature can be switched so that adds a bit to the confusion. Speed control is determined by the battery voltage being connected directly to the movable contact plate for high or going thru the nichrome wire for low. The lamp in the switch is connected to the movable contact, The different voltage levels will be bright on high and dim on low.

I will wait to see if anyone has a copy of the original accessory install directions or a lead to a schematic with that type switch, or a good photo of their car. If not, and if you want it, I can post what I have with the understanding the wire colors could be wrong. My rotary version works perfectly but IIRC, Joe Santana posted a photo of his 40 switch some years back and his colors were different. His photo didn't quite show all the terminals but it looked like that installation might be different than the Clipper switch version.

Posted on: 2016/11/2 21:38
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
Be careful of the Super Deluxe emblem running from top to bottom. Pot metal and very fragile. Don't over tighten the top and bottom screw, may snap. And be careful when your heater is mounted in the running car, the vibration can cause the emblem to break. Over the years have had to glue a couple of these, and is almost impossible to find a good replacement. Looks like you have a good one.

Posted on: 2016/11/2 21:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Chester Sams
See User information
Howard,

thanks I have 1 dot that is red the rest are worn.

Posted on: 2016/11/3 9:22
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Until something better comes along, here is the best of Joe's photos and what I was able to come up with. Use your best guess to see if your wires will match. Just be sure the the final configuration to the motor will have the switch connect the armature and field in series and not in parallel.

You will notice a difference between Joes and mine in the green and brown wires. I do not know which version is correct for yours or if they might have different versions in various model heaters.

Attach file:

jpg  (46.19 KB)
209_581b4b09274b7.jpg 596X881 px

jpg  (172.99 KB)
209_581b4b22be99f.jpg 1304X1866 px

Posted on: 2016/11/3 9:37
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Chester Sams
See User information
Howard,

This is perfect thanks to your help I got it wired and working!!

I appreciate all the help and the vast knowledge I have got from this site!

A great group of people here!

Posted on: 2016/11/3 12:44
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Good to hear. Which version worked -- brown wire to ground or brown wire to switch?

Posted on: 2016/11/3 14:18
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Chester Sams
See User information
Brown to ground

Posted on: 2016/11/3 15:09
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Is this what you wound up with?

Attach file:

jpg  (21.28 KB)
209_581bc6875a4ca.jpg 714X716 px

Posted on: 2016/11/3 18:21
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Chester Sams
See User information
that's it

Posted on: 2016/11/4 8:46
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved