Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
270 user(s) are online (132 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 270

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 4 (5)

Re: Over-Drive vs Gear Change for a '34 Coupe
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

shinyhubcap
See User information
Quote:

DavidM wrote: In response to : May I inquire as to your above post ? WHICH cars "do not handle well at higher speeds"?

My experience with Packards as a driver is entirely confined to the cars with beam front axles and mainly the 1920's and I have no doubt that the later models with independent suspension are much better.
However the topic was about gearing and potential engine damage so lets leave it at that.

===========================================================

No - let's not "leave it at that".

First of all, I agree with you completely ! Well...up to a point !

I, too, have just a wee bit of experience with 1920's era Packards and their technology. Of course you are correct! Their technology of that era is most certainly not appropriate for today's highway speeds.

They didn't even have brakes on all four wheels until the mid 20's! I don't want to think about a high speed panic stop in a rear-wheel brake only equiiped car !

And talk about primitive shock absorbers of the 1920's!

Steering, wheels, tires of that era - again, couldn't agree with you more - 1920's era Packard technology is not appropriate for today's highway speeds.

As for your comment about the introduction in the "Senior" line in 1937 of independent front suspension - my experience with that era of "Senior" Packards confirms your admission you are not familiar with that.

The differences between a 1936 "Senior" and a 1937 "Senior" in extreme speed handling are minimal - the big advantage was in passenger comfort as to ride over bad roads still common in that area. At highway speeds I can't tell the difference.

All this is very interesting to some of us - my apologies to those who are not interested in Packard's of TomB's era.

May I remind you this "thread" was started by TomB regarding his 1934 !

I am not clear what ANY of this has any more to do with TomB's question, than V8's contribution about what he thinks he "knows" about pre-war Senior Packard handling.

For your information, by 1934 Packards had superior brakes and shock absorbers, well-suited to high speed driving.

Also, improvements in suspension design compared to the 1920's are many; not going to take the time to go over them with you here. Yes - TomB's car has a "beam" axle. Not exactly the same technology of the 1920's...!

If you are interested in the details, may I suggest you please start a new "thread" for that discussion?

Which gets us back to the "bottom line" of my recommendation to TomB about his questions in this "thread" regarding his '34 Packard.....

LISTEN TO OWEN !

Posted on: 2016/11/9 11:17
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 4 (5)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved