Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
191 user(s) are online (128 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 188

DJP-37-120, Aiden, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

Over-Drive vs Gear Change for a '34 Coupe
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom Beidleman
See User information
Would like your opinions re installing an Over-Drive Unit or changing gears in my 34 Coupe. My 3rd gear is at 4.69:1
My use is for caravanning and driving. I want to navigate hills and highways with the least possible hassle, but there seems to be debate on whether an OD unit is right for my shorter WB (136.5)car, vs making some gear changes and going without the OD.
Any and All experience and insight would be most welcomed. Thanks !
Tom

Posted on: 2016/11/7 17:22
 Top  Print   

Re: Over-Drive vs Gear Change for a '34 Coupe
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I've toured fairly extensively for decades in a '34 Eight sedan with the 4.69 rear axle. I've resisted either changing the rear axle ratio or adding overdrive; I like the lively around town performance it gives and great hill climbing with the 4.69; the downside is I have to behave myself and settle for 45-50 mph on highways. Assuming you're inclined to want faster highway speeds the choice will depend to some degree on what rear axle ratios you can get. With Phil Bray out of the scene, I don't know what's available in new gearsets. An original 4.07 set would be a nice choice. But IMO you'll get the most flexibility by retaining your 4.69 rear and installing an overdrive.

Posted on: 2016/11/7 17:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
One of the problems with operating just about any PREwar car at high speeds of say 55 mph and faster is that curves in the road such as intercchaange ramps on the Interstate hiways may very well cause a terrific amount of body roll.
To sustain higher speeds (other than in a straight line) will probaby also require getting the suspension tied down. Perhaps just somespring loaded heavy duty shocks front and rear will help.

I don't know. But whe nfirst operating the car with higher interstatee or open hiway speeds just be careful on curves and turns until the car proves itself.

Probably need to set negative caster to the front suspension instead of the oem spec possitive caster.

Check to see what the lowest ratio axle that is availaable.
The car should have more than enuf low end power to never notice the difference. I'm running a 48 motorcycle with 4-1/2 stroke (1200cc) a 3 speed trans and i'm running 3 teeth over stock on the trans sprocket so i can keep up with my friends riding new Harleys. I barely notice the difference at low speeds at all nor even on steep hills that are graveel.

If i could get a 28 tooth in under the chain gaurd i would do it in a heart beat.

Or go with the overdrive.

There is nothing worse than to become a moving obstacle out on the hiway.

Posted on: 2016/11/7 19:38
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
There shoud be no reason that even something on the order of a 2.98 rear axle would just fine.

I had a 53 ford 6 cylinder with 2.98 rear axle and a 3 speed.
NO problems.

Posted on: 2016/11/7 19:41
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
A 2.98 axle is about 2/3 the current ratio, clearly unreasonable. Comparing a 50's Ford Six and a '48 motorcycle with a '34 Packard is more than ludicrous.

Posted on: 2016/11/7 20:12
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Fully agree with Fred, 2.98 would give a very unacceptable result.. Some of these cars approach 4500 lbs and are driven thru fairly large 17 inch tires with but 120 horsepower. I've driven a 34 Eight sedan with a 3.98 and even modest upgrades that I would have sailed over in high gear required downshifting.

Now the coupe is one of the lighter body styles and might be a decent tourer with a 3.98 or thereabouts, but not a 2.98.

Posted on: 2016/11/7 20:23
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

shinyhubcap
See User information
Hi Tom:

As Owen correctly points out, those old "long-stroke" motors with that absurdly low gearing, combined with original-style "poured babbit" connecting rod bearings most certainly should not be driven over 45-50 mph.

In the old days we'd go hunt in wrecking yards for wrecked '35 or later pre-war Packards to get the con-rods out of them. Their connecting rods ARE set up for "insert" style connecting rod bearings.

You may have heard about the famous test Packard did when introducing their 1935 line - they took a "bone stock" STANDARD eight and drove it wide open ( around 90 mph) for 25,000 mi. with no significant wear ( on disassembly, they said "the car could have been re-assembled and run that test again...!).

However, even tho an "insert rod bearing" equipped pre-war Packard CAN be driven that hard and that fast and that long, it is not a pleasant experience to have a motor spinning that fast.

I agree with Owen - leave your rear axle gearing alone.

Let's be realistic - your Standard Eight is MANY cubic inches of engine displacement smaller than the "big" Packards...so you don't have the raw torque to handle much higher rear axle ratios.

So - either keep your speed down the way Owen recommends, or get an over-drive - Gear Vendors, for example, is one brand my friends have had good luck with.

Once you get an overdrive, the difference in comfort will astound you as you glide over the countryside at 70 mph while everything forward of the rear axle output shaft thinks it is doing 48 mph...!

As far as handling goes, be assured pre-war Packards are superb handlers.

I have no idea why "Packard V8" made the statements he did about "curves in the road" - he is obviously ignorant of what it is like to drive a PROPERLY maintained pre-war Senior Packard at extreme speeds.

IF PROPERLY maintained, the pre-war Packards are SPORTS CARS when compared with the post-war Packards.

Let's discuss your pre-war Packard for what it IS. A superbly engineered driver that was in keeping with the Packard legend we are so proud of.

Your Packard came with excellent shock absorbers. Are they filled with hydraulic fluid and otherwise doing the outstanding job they were engineered for ?

Your Packard came with outstanding brakes. Yes, as a Packard lover, it is disappointing to me to drive a pre-war "rope-brake" equipped Packard that has NOT been properly maintained. Maybe that's the problem with "Packard V8"...maybe he got a ride in and/or drive some "costume jewelry" pre-war Packard, with all that implies in terms of terrible-to-truly frightening mechanical condition.

Again..PROPERLY maintained.... you make a panic stop with your pre-war Packard and you may put un-belted passengers thru your windshield!

Bottom line - listen to Owen !

Posted on: 2016/11/7 20:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom Beidleman
See User information
Thanks Packard V8, appreciate all the input.
Regards,
Tom

Posted on: 2016/11/7 21:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
What is the over drive ratio to be used???
AND, what was the LOWEST ratio offered from the factory for the 34 in question???

We'll do some math.

Posted on: 2016/11/7 21:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom Beidleman
See User information
Thank you Shinyhubcap ! I am taking your and O.D.'s advice on this for sure. You fellows have the experience and knowledge I lack, and I intend to put your input to work. This is the information I was hoping for....I also understand a good bit of it...for once ! :)
Thanks again.

PS: Re The Shocks....I need a complete lesson on those too. To be honest, I don't even know where to find them...(I know, up front by the wheels !, but the shop that is bringing it all back to life just advised they filled them with fluid. The car has been laid up for years, and while the fellow I bought it from did some work on it, it seems he missed the shocks, or they are leaking like mad. How do I test them and what else should I be looking for in that area ?
Thanks,
Tom

Posted on: 2016/11/7 21:31
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved