Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
115 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 115

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Going to look at '38 Pack coupe in Volo, IL
Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Meadows
See User information
I'm driving up to Madison, Wisconsin, to visit my oldest son and am going to stop at the Volo Museum in Volo, IL, to look at a '38 Packard coupe straight six.

Here is a link to the car on Hemming's

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/packard/unspecified/1791633.html

Volo is asking $22,998. What would be a reasonable offer, providing everything checks out?

Can the horsepower be boosted from 100 hp?

Happy Holidays
Garrett Meadows

Posted on: 2016/12/23 18:47
 Top  Print   

Re: Going to look at '38 Pack coupe in Volo, IL
Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
That's a nice looking 38. I'm not knowledgeable enough to know if the interior and dash has been redone to factory specs. I know it has been for sale for a while son it would not surprise me if you can take it home for under 20k.

I don't see a reason to bump the horse power on the car. This car will be nimble enough to keep up with traffic unless you want to go 75 on the interstate.

Posted on: 2016/12/23 19:03
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Here's my take, just from looking at the few photos....First, the car was a business coupe, never had the really cool '38 jumpseats, that's why the mid-level upholstery shop added that bench back seat. Looks very square to me. Same for the trunk - neat and clean, but nothing special. No underhood or underbody pictures suggests most likely not fresh, or more concerning, not restored = risk for someone on a budget. bias ply tires. Headlight reflectors look dull. Chrome looks below average. The dash colors are completely wrong - 38 had such a pretty pewter color, I wonder why not done properly, maybe a personal choice, maybe ummm....ignorance. The floorshift is nice for functional reasons. Yes, you can changeout to an overdrive gearbox someday. Until then, this is not a highway car. Finally, as to a test drive, note that the grille shutters are closed in the pictures, be sure to note whether they open or not - if not, the cheap way is to block them open, the expensive way is to replace the thermostat mechanism that operates them. And after you drive it, leave it running in the parking lot for a LONG time, see it it overheats.
Overall, its tough to say from pictures, but to me the car looks very "average", and based on some of the other cars discussed in the Craigslist forum, plus your specific string, I think there is a good amount of room for negotiation. Just my opinion.

Posted on: 2016/12/23 19:48
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

FREDERICK E WILEY
See User information
All good points from Flackmster.Read his post very carefully. This car has been for sale from Volo for over a year I believe. Over priced I believe also.

Posted on: 2016/12/24 15:42
Fred in Florida

1948 Deluxe Eight Sedan 2262
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Meadows
See User information
Thank you very much for your observations and advice. Very much appreciated. You brought to my attention many aspects I hadn't considered, which prompts me to be very skeptical and cautious.

I'm going to stop and look at and perhaps give a drive. Based on the feedback i've gotten, I'm going to pass on it.

Kind regards and happy holidays,
Garrett Meadows

Posted on: 2016/12/24 17:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good afternoon Garrett...Most definitely take it for a drive and most definitely let it idle for a good long time at the end to see if it overheats...Take photographs of the engine and fire wall and radiator and post on our site for more comments. If you offer a much lower price all they can say is no! I also wonder if there is a member close that could also take a look for you and then you could exchange opinions. Most things have a right price and a wrong price. Ernie

Posted on: 2016/12/24 18:48
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

jack klat
See User information
You should do a little research on the "Volo Auto Museum"... while they do have some interesting cars, they haven't exactly been honest in describing many of their vehicles... especially those supposedly used in movies, or owned by "famous people". You should also keep in mind that while they use the word "museum" in their name, they are also a used car lot.

Posted on: 2016/12/24 20:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
None of these easily and inexpensively corrected details should be reasons not to buy. It is well under your target price (and with negotiation even more), seems in quite nice condition. Paint seems nice, a paint job today can run $10,000 +++.

The fact that the shutters are closed when cold is a good sign, if they were open it would show they were not operating correctly. Anyway, several ways of fixing are quite inexpensive. There's a used working shutter t-stat on ebay for $130 or you could block them open and replace the thermostat housing with a '37 which will accommodate a thermostat and retainer. It will regulate the temp at 180 degrees and make for a better running and longer lasting engine than the shutter stat.

The incorrect rear seat should be simple to remove and voila you have the business coupe.

Paint on the dash is easy to remedy.

If after looking for 2+ years and not finding another as suitable as this why hesitate?

Posted on: 2016/12/25 13:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi Garrett

Good advice from all, don't let rabid enthusiasm get in the way of cool reason, only to suffer buyer's regret later. A direct inspection will be a good learning experience just the same.

If you can live with a '41 110, this car might we worth your time to investigate as well, more reasonably priced:
http://saltlakecity.craigslist.org/cto/5923560670.html

Steve

Posted on: 2016/12/25 13:34
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

h.d.fire
See User information
As mentioned, the Volo Auto Museum does have many vehicles on display as a "museum", but their main business is consignment.
I have know the Graham family (owners) for many years and they have been in the collectable car business for decades.
If a pre-inspection would help, I'd be happy to go take a look...

Posted on: 2016/12/26 22:35
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved