Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
187 user(s) are online (123 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 187

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Compression ratio of 327 head; year of the engine block?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Quote:
I always add this when talking about valve seats. DON'T PUT HARDENED SEATS IN A PACKARD INLINE BLOCK. It's a high nickel casting more akin to cast steel than cast iron. Adding valve seats helps the machine shop and if they fail will continue to help it. Worried about valve seat erosion? Run Stainless Steel Valves. All told that's a relatively affordable option to seats and they're not going to fail.

From seeing many engines come and go through a machine shop and having first-and experience with machining, I'm going to respectfully disagree with the above statement.

1. The Packard block cast iron alloy is not appreciably harder than other makes cast iron. This urban legend comes up in most antique car web sites. We've had Hudson, Studebaker, Oldsmobile and many other old makes quote the same misinformation; many actually disappointed we aren't going to charge them more to bore and hone their "high nickel" block.

2. Stainless valves will not protect the exhaust valve seats against erosion. How long the valve seats will hold up depends mostly on how many highway miles the engine sees. A hobby car getting only a few hundred miles a year will probably last forever. One which is used for long distance touring eventually needs hard exhaust seats.

3. Properly installed hard exhaust seats in a properly tuned engine aren't likely to fail. The only time I've ever seen a problem is when incorrect ignition advance, clogged radiator or stuck thermostat, caused severe overheating to the point everything on the top end was damaged.

Your opinions and results may vary.

jack vines

Posted on: 2017/3/17 12:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brians51
See User information
If memory serves only a few years back their was an article in the Cormorant Showing old ads comparing the Packard block with a Chrysler block. The Chrysler block had inserts (low Quality Cast Iron.) Versus the Packard Block ( High Quality cast Iron.) Didn't need Inserts. I only point this out because Packard themselves made this statement. Not urban legend. Is it true? I don't know. This was pre war too. Did this change after the war? Again, I don't know. But why would Packard make the claim if not true? Seems to me to be a lawsuit in waiting if false. I don't doubt anyones experience. And if people in the field don't see a difference.I don't doubt that. But, then What gives with the Ads that make that statement??? Unless the repro ads in the Cormorant were false.

Posted on: 2017/3/18 9:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Let's look at it another way. For many years, all exhaust valves have been stainless steel, but when unleaded fuel became the law, the OEMs began induction-hardening their exhaust seats to prevent stainless exhaust valves from micro-welding to the seat, pulling away one molecule at a time and eventually causing recession.

jack vines

Posted on: 2017/3/18 11:16
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved