Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
245 user(s) are online (124 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 244

John Sauser, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1963 Exner Packard Revival... AMC where were you?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mahoning63
See User information
Revisit of old topic with new images. Always thought one of the best chances of bringing Packard back was in 1969, the year that AMC, under design direction of Dick Teague, extended Ambassador's hood 4 inches.

For not much more than the cost of developing the AMX, AMC could have instead secured the rights to the Packard name and modified Ambassador coupe's grill, lights, quarters, deck and rear roof section and increased wheel size to 15 inches, using Virgil Exner's 1963 Revival design as basis. His round tail lights would have best been avoided.

New interior in fine Packard tradition, not unlike concurrent Stutz revival based on Grand Prix. Unlike that car, AMC could have tooled for mass production and volume. Personal coupes all the rage, would have hit the market at the perfect time. Certainly the design had legs, Buick picking up the roof treatment 10 years later and everyone jumping on the neo-classic grill.

Attach file:

jpg  (62.44 KB)
2060_592c20ed40c43.jpg 903X608 px

jpg  (112.66 KB)
2060_592c20fe127c6.jpg 984X816 px

jpg  (175.04 KB)
2060_592c210e2e66e.jpg 1276X475 px

Posted on: 2017/5/29 8:34
 Top  Print   

Re: 1963 Exner Packard Revival... AMC where were you?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
How about a 66' "Modern Version of a Great Classic Car"?
Oh yeah, it's 12 cylinder and sleek and sassy!

Attach file:

jpg  (307.94 KB)
1220_592c4bb4b44b5.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (400.86 KB)
1220_592c4bdc8b8f2.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (276.73 KB)
1220_592c4bfc17414.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2017/5/29 11:28
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Jerry
See User information
Great concept!..I always though with Roy Abernathy (formerly of Packard) the chairman at AMC, whom went on a program to compete head-to-head with the Big Three (and Teague head of styling)that why didn't they try a Packard revival..maybe the bad blood between Nance and Romney in the mid 50's had something to do with it? A Packard revival would of given current AMC/Rambler owners a 'step-up' brand and AMC could of reaped additional profits and prestige if the concept was executed the right way.

Posted on: 2017/5/29 14:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mahoning63
See User information
Gotta believe those old Renwal models are highly prized today. Wonder how many they made.

Agreed, AMC needed a high end money maker and Packard was probably the best option given the players involved. No idea why they didn't act on the opportunity. The Packard name was dropped from S-P in, I think, 1962.

"...executed the right way" was the key. Exner's idea was out there for all to see, with elements deemed worthy enough to not only be used on the '79 Riviera but, with the front fenders and bumper caps, on the '70 Olds Toronado. A V12 would have been fabulous. Probably AMC's 390 CID 315 HP V8 powering what would have been around a 3700 lb car would have been more than sufficient.

Developing a 4-door would have been more costly because AMC would have probably needed to lengthen the wheelbase 3-4 inches for rear legroom. There are images on the internet that show Exner's green car modified.

http://www.curbsideclassic.com/wp-content/comment-image/417974.jpg

Posted on: 2017/5/29 19:08
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Yes, the word Packard was dropped from the corporate name in 1962 but I'm sure the Packard trademarks continued to be maintained by Studebaker and I believe later on into the Stubebaker-Worthington era. I don't recall the time and details of their later distribution, The Packard Club got some of the trademarks, Gullickson some others for his venture.

Posted on: 2017/5/29 20:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
Lots of fun with the modified AMC - they were indeed excellent at working on minimal budgets. I'd say that in 1962 this car would be a Clipper or a Hawk replacement. Competition would be the Thunderbird or Riviera. Possibly the more conventional Wildcat/Starfire/Grand Prix/non letter 300. Use the corporate V8.

AMC would be smart enough to not send a Packard coupe up against Cadillac/Lincoln. Imperial was already selling in very small numbers there, even using lots of corporate parts.

Posted on: 2017/5/30 10:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

AMC never ventured into the personal luxury segment in a serious way, but if they were to have done so, the late 1960's were the times to do it. Their Ambassador, once the wheelbase increased to 122" by lengthening the cowl to axle another four inches, produced the required long hood/short deck proportions. The hardtop coupe re-skinned with the Exner design would have made a fit competitor for the Grand Prix/Toronado/Riviera/Thunderbird class. As such, if it caught on, AMC could have had a piece of what was a very lucrative class well into the next decade.

To challenge the Eldorado/Continental Mark III heavy weights would have required AMC to greatly up their game in fit and finish as well as interior execution. The Ambassador DPL models demonstrated they could do just such, though would have to go much further for a true luxury contender. Certainly, a higher level of mechanical and chassis refinement was in order beyond their usual offerings. The AMC 401 with fuel injection would have filled the bill.

Considering whether they might have used the Packard name: it would have been their best option as no luxury marque name was in their corporate heritage, discounting "Lafayette" last applied to a low-priced series. Hudson was still remembered for its sporting history, not luxury. The by-then Studebaker-Worthington likely would have gladly written a royalty agreement to license it for so many dollars for each car sold under the name. The market then was receptive to marque revivals, witness the Auburn Speedster, Cord 8/10, Stutz Blackhawk, even the Avanti II. Approached as a mainstream rather than the 'boutique' offering, tastefully executed neo-classic styling, bespoke quality and refined drive-ability could have made it a successful and worthwhile Packard revival.

Steve

Posted on: 2017/6/4 17:26
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mahoning63
See User information
The discussion we are having is probably fairly reflective of what would have occurred amongst AMC's planners and leaders had they pursued the opportunity, with the debate eventually landing on uniqueness of car and target market. I prefer to play the role of Packard-As-Top-Dog stalwart: "Let's not make the same mistake Packard did years ago! We either go after the best with an even better car or we don't go at all!"

The Stutz Blackhawk, a car based on the humble GM A-body, commanded over $20,000, Elvis getting the second prototype. It was effectively an intermediate with a super long hood and bespoke interior and exterior. AMC needed to match it in verve and at a price comparable to Cadillac and Lincoln. Upon careful review of the Blackhawk and closer inspection of Exner's Packard proposal, my conclusion is that the AMC Ambassador as modified above probably would have come up short, able to compete with near luxury cars only. It needed a Wow factor, which I tried to dial in below with a 4 inch decrease in body length and 4 increase in axle-to-dash, retaining the 122 wb. I also fashioned front fender bumper caps like the Ex car. What I don't show but what was absolutely essential was Ex's striking 3-dimensional grill and front appearance rather than the boring 2-dimensional mod I made above. Ex's screwball half grill atop overwrought bumper needed to go though, replaced by full height grill.

In addition to Steve's suggestion for a 401 Fuelie would have included an independent rear suspension and 4-wheel disc brakes. Together with radial tires and unibody would have made mincemeat of Eldorado and Mk III in the handling department.

Here's a good source for 1969 vehicle dimensions. Ambassador was wide enough and with an impressive wheelbase but a bit short in length, though I think it would have worked in this application.

http://www.oldcarbrochures.com/static/NA/Pontiac/1969%20Pontiac/1969%20Pontiac%20Competitive%20Comparison%20Booklet/index1.html

Attach file:

jpg  (74.69 KB)
2060_59388bab29c19.jpg 985X552 px

Posted on: 2017/6/7 18:18
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved