Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
218 user(s) are online (142 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 217

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Feedback on observation: rarity does not equate with value
Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Meadows
See User information
The host of the show Fantom Works made the observation that just because a car is rare does not necessarily mean that it is valuable.

Are there any Packards that can be classified as such?

Kind regards
Garrett Meadows

Posted on: 2017/7/8 19:05
 Top  Print   

Re: Feedback on observation: rarity does not equate with value
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
I think my 138CD limo could be such an example. Rare car, but won't break the bank like some other models in higher numbers that are still around.

It also depends on what is "hot" in the market too.

Posted on: 2017/7/8 19:29
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
That is true of just about ANY antique or collectable whether auto related or not.

Posted on: 2017/7/8 20:23
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
All 1958s are rare, they only made 2622 cars in total. Of those just 159 were station wagons. I dare say on a list of Packards by value or collector cachet the 58 station wagon would be well down the list.

Posted on: 2017/7/8 21:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
Garrett, nice to see you back

Posted on: 2017/7/8 22:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi Garrett

Counterintuitive as it seems, there is little correlation between rarity in production numbers and current valuation in the collector car market. It only holds somewhat true for those cars that were built to be special and generally expensive when new, e.g. high-performance or coach built.

For run-of-the-mill production cars built in high quantities, its completely a function of what the collector community decides their relative values are now. There is a theory that what was popular new is still popular now, even that doesn't hold true. For example: both the 1960 Falcon and 1965 Mustang sold nearly half a million copies their first year in the market. Today at shows, the latter appear in great numbers while the former are rarely encountered.

The upside now is if one prefers the makes and models not in high demand, with patience, one can avail oneself of a quality collector car for very reasonable money. Best yet, one which can be enjoyed just as much as those costing far more...though you might have to explain to the uninitiated what it is and how it fit into its times.

Steve

Posted on: 2017/7/9 8:05
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
32 ford coupes are not rare but still bring a pretty penny! It's all about demand. A lot of times things that are rare are not well known so values won't be terribly high.

Posted on: 2017/7/9 10:58
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved