Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
179 user(s) are online (115 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 176

JWL, Don B, Guscha, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

hand spotlight
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

charlieshot
See User information
I have what looks to be an original hand spotlight. It matches what is in my operation and care manual for the 1953 Patrician..unfortunately it does not have the cord or plug. Can someone help with the size of wire, the book says it is 12ft. long, but not the gauge, and where I can get a plug that will fit the cigar lighter. thanks in advance for any info
Charlie

Posted on: 2017/12/29 22:41
 Top  Print   

Re: hand spotlight
Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
Not for certain what the cord should be, but you might start here.
https://www.antiquelampsupply.com/catalogsearch/result/?material=466&q=power+cord

Not sure if the link came through or not. Antique lamp supply.

Or one of the good wiring harness suppliers.

Posted on: 2017/12/29 22:52
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
With the illustrations in the accessory or owners manuals I can't tell for sure what the cord is made of but it appears it may be ordinary 2 wire zip or lamp cord. In those days it would probably have been a rubber insulating material but today I think you will mostly find vinyl or PVC.

For the distance and 6v I would recommend 16 gauge.

The place tolandis linked has some cotton covered cable that would work and be period correct and there is also black zip cord on ebay. It is used in some modern tools and extension cords so you may be able to find black lamp cord in home centers or local lamp stores. You do want 2 conductor cable though and not 3.

For the plug there are a couple of options. If you want period correct you will need to find something like the plug on this lamp assy. I didn't see just a single plug like that one but there is one labeled vintage that might work but doesn't look quite the same as the item in the accessory catalog or on that other period lamp. The 2 amp fuse should be OK for a 6v light but could possibly need increasing.

If you are OK with just being functional but more modern looking there are several like this one which looks a lot like the "vintage" plug above. One problem with modern plugs may be the size of the strain relief and hole the wire exits as most are for 12v so normally would have a slightly smaller wiring than 16ga.

Posted on: 2017/12/29 23:19
Howard
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

charlieshot
See User information
thank you tolandis and Howard, all good info. The 16 gauge is a better idea, I was thinking 18 would do. thanks again.
Charlie

Posted on: 2017/12/30 19:26
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved