Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
206 user(s) are online (109 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 205

Todd W. White, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Series 23 Hood Release
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Wareham
See User information
I have a question about the assembly of the hood release mechanisms on my Series 23. There are a series of springs and washers that need to be installed in a specific order. Howard helped me find some pictures of the release mechanism but I believe they are from an earlier series. Does anyone have pictures or assembly manual references to the Series 23 release assembly? This is another case of taking hundreds of dis-assembly pictures but missing to one you really need!

Thanks, Joe

Posted on: 2018/4/16 11:34
 Top  Print   

Re: Series 23 Hood Release
Home away from home
Home away from home

Deskdriver
See User information
Tinman,
I have a couple of pictures. This is the larger latch and spring (Which is a bear to get into place) from my 23 series.

With the hood release lever under the dash in the upper position or against the dashboard. The hood catches should be facing outward, as well as the smaller one, which closer to the front, away from the engine thus hold the hood down.

The 2nd picture shows the hood catch the hood "Open" position.

If you let me know what exactly you are looking for I can take more photos.

Attach file:

jpg  (96.05 KB)
67700_5ad4fbecec190.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (96.23 KB)
67700_5ad4fc0ac0925.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2018/4/16 14:46
[url=http://packardinf
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Deskdriver
See User information
Sorry didn't see the red arrow. It's pointing to the firewall grommet.

As you can see I scratched the new black paint job putting the springs in. You might need to make a spring compression tool out of an old flat pry bar.

Posted on: 2018/4/16 14:49
[url=http://packardinf
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
Deskdriver; Please note the rubber fire wall is backwards in your picture.

Posted on: 2018/4/16 20:58

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Wareham
See User information
Deskdriver,

This is exactly what I was looking for. Your statement about the spring being a "bear" to get in place is an understatement! It was like trying to compress a valve spring with your bare hands. It was so hard I thought I was doing something wrong. When I got the car 3 years ago, I took the releases apart and painted them. I don't remember it being so hard to re-assemble. The springs sat un-assembled for a couple of years and I think they expanded. After numerous failed attempts and bruised fingers, I put the springs in a vice and compressed them. This shrunk their length about an 1/8" and made them "slightly" less difficult to install. I still have the passenger side to install.

Thanks for your response!

Like Dell, I did note the rubber seal was on backwards.

Joe

Posted on: 2018/4/17 8:54
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved