Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
209 user(s) are online (143 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 209

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Head Questions
Home away from home
Home away from home

Pat and Melanie Westerkamp
See User information
Hey all got back from the long vacation, i am taking the head off and have a few questions.
Do you reuse the head bolts, nut and washers when reinstalling. Chevys and Fords are a no no. Not sure on Packard.

What is the hole and plastic grommet??? on the side of the head towards the rear drivers side that has a shielded wire coming out and going to the inside. And how do you get this wire out of the head.

One last question is there a plug to drain the engine block of coolant????

Pat.

Posted on: 2018/8/18 10:12

1941 Packard 110 Club Coupe Deluxe
 Top  Print   

Re: Head Questions
Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
There should be a peacock valve on the bottom of the radiator outlet to drain.

Posted on: 2018/8/18 10:21
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Right on the bottom????, i looked on the backside (towards the engine) and there was no petcock.

How about a plug to drain the engine block???

Posted on: 2018/8/18 10:25

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
No petcock to drain the block, instead a threaded plug back near the starter motor at the bottom of the jacket. Yes, reuse the studs, head nuts, washers unless they show damage.

Posted on: 2018/8/18 10:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
No petcock to drain the block, instead a threaded plug back near the starter motor at the bottom of the jacket. Yes, reuse the studs, head nuts, washers unless they show damage.

Thanks that saves a lot of money the studs nuts and washers are expensive little buggers........found the block pug thats exactly what i was looking for.

Now the only thing thats keeping me from pulling the head is that braided wire.....is that a temp probe and how do i get it out

Posted on: 2018/8/18 10:59

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The sensing bulb for the temperature gauge goes into the cylinder head at the rear, driver's side (above the starter motor). And it appears as a small capillary tube with a wound wire outer shield. The hole is (was?) threaded and it was retained with a metallic NPT-threaded gland nut. But you mentioned a plastic grommet and that's not as originally fitted so I have no idea what you actually have for a fitment. Perhaps a photo would let us see the modification.

Posted on: 2018/8/18 12:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Hey Owen you are right after some brake cleaner and a small wire brush, it turned out to be a nut . And i was pretty lucky after reading some posts abut how hard it was to get out. The nut just loosened right up and the bulb slide right out. The one thing im not sure about now is the the length of the wire is long, the previous owner had it wire tied to the radiator support rod. Isnt that length supposed to be in the cab under the dash?????? and it looks to be about 2' to long as well.

Posted on: 2018/8/18 19:32

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Glad you got it disassembled so easily and without damage. I'll leave it to folks with the same or similar cars to comment on the length of the capillary tube and its routing but it's quite direct, head to gauge.

Posted on: 2018/8/18 20:02
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved