Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
174 user(s) are online (108 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 170

Joe Krzan, BigKev, Alvin14, TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Transmission Question???
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
As I've previously posted, I am in the process of R&R'ing my 245 CID 6 cyl on my '39 Six. Thinking that while I have it out and apart, I should get the transmission gone over. I ordered a kit from Kanters that includes the 'wear items'. I went through the packing list and expected to see synchro rings. Instead, what is identified on the order that relates to that are 3 small springs and 3 small ball bearings. Not being a 'transmission man' and not familiar with how gear synchronization actually functions, I assumed these would go into the transmission works during the rebuild process. I have located a guy in a nearby town who IS a transmission man and he asked that I clean the casing up before bringing it to him, I spent several hours today detailing every nook and cranny of the exterior, rendering it 'dinner plate clean'. My question is this: while working on it, I drained the oil and put a telescope magnet into the drain hole. I ended up retrieving 3 springs and 3 ball bearings identical to those supplied with the service kit. Why would they end up in the bottom of the transmission sump and does this signify a larger problem?? I.E. is there a component in the cluster(s) that is likely worn or broken, that allowed these pieces to escape?? Any advice or knowledge shared on this much appreciated.

Posted on: 2018/12/31 18:11
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print   

Re: Transmission Question???
Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
The 3 springs and balls act as a detent to keep the synchromesh shift collar centered on its hub when shifting into 2nd or high gear. This allows the conical synchro rings to contact the matching surface on the gears and match speed before the hub moves farther to engage the machined dogs on the gears.

Here are some photos of a later synchromesh assembly that works on the same principal but uses special plungers instead of balls to act as detents.
The earlier units with the spring loaded balls are more difficult to assemble.

The synchro rings are held in contact with the hub by the 3 special spring clips shown in the second photo.

Attach file:

jpg  (103.99 KB)
1137_5c2adad51f458.jpg 1600X1200 px

jpg  (89.42 KB)
1137_5c2adae6917e7.jpg 1600X1200 px

jpg  (125.52 KB)
1137_5c2adb36511cc.jpg 1600X1200 px

jpg  (122.44 KB)
1137_5c2adb5c1e57d.jpg 1600X1200 px

Posted on: 2018/12/31 22:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Thanks Brian, and Happy New Year to you!! So, what would you surmise the reason would be for all 3 of these springs and balls ending up in the bottom of the tranny??? Are the retaining clip springs prone to breaking? If so, I wonder why they wouldn't be supplied with the service kit - they don't look expensive??? I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised when I removed the top cover and viewed the gears; they look to be in excellent shape, and there is very minimal play in either the front spline or the rear yoke. I don't think I would have even bothered with this exercise had the transmission not displayed some unusual shift grinds. Not all the time, but enough that it gave me pause and now that I find all the parts in the sump, I am presuming that is the culprit. Just don't know how they'd 'get out'! Chris

Posted on: 2019/1/1 3:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
If the shift collar is manually moved too far forward with the top cover removed the balls and springs can pop out of the hub.

Not having them in place would explain the grinding shifts.

Edit:

There is a very good description of this transmission with illustrations and service procedure in Volume VII of the 1946-50 service manual. The main difference between the described transmission and yours is the use of plungers instead of the balls in the synchromesh assembly.

Posted on: 2019/1/1 15:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Thanks again, Brian. I looked up the service manual you referenced and it is indeed a trove of valuable information. I'll read it from end to end, as well as print a copy to take to the mechanic who is going to do the work on the gearbox. I wish I had more transmission experience - the service instructions are so comprehensive, I feel like I could ALMOST do it myself!! (but not quite, LOL)

Posted on: 2019/1/1 23:02
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved