Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
217 user(s) are online (137 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 217

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 1942 "160" turn signal & brake wiring problem??
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

auto.nut
See User information
Or maybe I was wrong, wires #17 is perhaps the wires that are for front lighting on the first notch of the lighting switch. And if that is true, why don't I see wires #17 going to the back running lights? The back running lights should be lit when on the first notch of the light switch. The manual even states that. Is there another different power feed from the light switch with a different number? There is a Wire 9A. Sure wish they had a description somewhere to indicate what the wire number's function is.

Posted on: 2021/6/6 12:04
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
First, I would suggest you go to the PAC site and download an A.E.A. diagram. While the print quality is not the best as far as identifying wire color labels, the wire paths are OK and more importantly shown going point to point rather than using Packards pick a wire number and find it again system.https://www.packardclub.org/wiring/1942wiring-su8cyl.JPG

If you mean the rear tail lights not getting voltage, those are protected by a fuse. If you look at your factory diagram you will see 8A coming from terminal 3 or tail light terminal on the headlight switch. There is an inline fuse before it goes into the loom and comes out 8A at the instrument light switch as feed for that switch. They use the feed terminal at the instrument light switch to branch to several other 8's, one of which is a wire 8B going thru an inline connecter and out of that connector as 8C on to the tail lights.

The parking lights (17) and tail lights (8) are on at the first notch but the second or headlight notch keeps the tail lights but turns off the parking lights anytime the headlights are on. If you had fog lights they would also be fed from the tail light terminal;

9A is coming from one of the auxilliary fuses on the headlight switch and is power for the brake lights.

The factory drawing on this site for the 20th series all models does provide most of the wire size, color, and descriptions of where the various number runs originate and end.https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/wirediagrams/1942%2020th%20Series%20All.pdf

On your original problem though, if the turn signal switch and circuitry is not factory I doubt we will be able to help much. There are so many variations of what could have been done and probably for competitive reasons it seems each mfg picked their own solution.

Posted on: 2021/6/6 12:30
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

auto.nut
See User information
HOWARD surely someone must have a better wiring diagram than the A.E.A. one shown. As you say the quality is so bad that the diagram is almost unusable. Do you have any idea of where I might be able to download a better quality drawing?? Sure could use it. Lee
Have ordered some LED lights to replace the rear turn signals etc. I will let you know how things turn out. Still have a short in the INST PNL SWITCH CIRCUIT, but will work on that after I get the turn signals to work properly.

Posted on: 2021/6/8 8:11
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
As far as I know the only options for 42 wiring diagrams would be the factory chase a number type and the A.E.A. drawing. With the exception of a few diagrams in the 20s and early 30s, until the 48 22nd series introduction Packard wiring diagrams were all of the chase the number type.

The factory type on this website is of decent quality but the AEA drawings at PAC were most likely photocopied several times before one of those down the line copies found its way to the website to be posted. Unlike Ford or GM cars, Packard models do not have a wealth of options as far as finding much literature. Until Big Kev started this site the only options were an original or a few reprint manuals and random pieces put together and sold by regions or individuals.

I believe the A.E.A. (Automotive Electric Association) was one of the companies like Motors or Chilton which published reference literature for the corner gas station and aftermarket garages. I have not really looked but there is always the possibility one of their original manuals might show up on ebay or at a swap meet containing a pristine print. Other than finding one of those or a first generation copy from someone who has an original I think you are out of luck finding anything much better.

Posted on: 2021/6/8 9:22
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved