Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
204 user(s) are online (136 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 202

Owen_Dyneto, Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1937 Super-Eight Stromberg carb dilemma
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob Supina
See User information
I have disassembled two EE23 carbs and found two different springs on the lower portion of the pump piston and two different springs on the upper portion.

Unfortunately, Stromberg did not publish specifications for the springs....at least in the documentation I have.

What I would like to know is how does the stiffness of the upper spring affect performance and how does the stiffness of the lower spring affect performance?

Attach file:

jpg  springs.jpg (154.84 KB)
441_639540d310637.jpg 1920X865 px

jpg  carb springs.jpg (271.33 KB)
441_639540f1bc3f5.jpg 1760X1920 px

jpg  carb upper spring.jpg (181.06 KB)
441_6395410050d65.jpg 1281X1920 px

Posted on: 2022/12/10 21:31
 Top  Print   

Re: 1937 Super-Eight Stromberg carb dilemma
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Sometimes those accelerator pumps stick in the bore. The workaround is to use a stronger spring. The external spring holds the dust cover. Too strong an internal spring can inhibit throttle return. The spring on the actuating lever demonstrates full application of the pump prior to full throttle and opening of the power valve when equipped. If the pump is sticking the lever spring will expand prior to application of the pump.

However, hesitation problems often are assumed to be problems with the pump when in reality the main jet aerator passages are clogged. This requires use of a special jet wrench which should be handled by an experienced rebuilder.

Posted on: 2022/12/11 11:57
 Top  Print   

Re: 1937 Super-Eight Stromberg carb dilemma
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob Supina
See User information
Thanks, Tim, for the explanation.

Bob

Posted on: 2022/12/11 12:17
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved