Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
210 user(s) are online (147 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 209

Packardbarry, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Engine Oil Capacity
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave O
See User information
Hey folks, I am running into to conflicting information on the oil capacity of a 23rd series Super Eight with a 327 engine. Its time for an oil change.

The Owners Operational Manual says 7 qts.
The Packard Service Manual says 5 1/2 Qts unless it has an engine suffix of CD -CE -D or E then its 7 Qts. My engine suffix is (H)

The MoTor's manual says 6 Qts.

What are you folks doing.

Dave O.

Posted on: 2023/8/20 16:30
 Top  Print   

Re: Engine Oil Capacity
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
This may confuse the issue even more but this clarification was published in a service counselor during the 22nd series and I believe it is also applicable to the 23rd series. Without the D suffix, capacity will be 6 qts.

The H suffix indicates the engine has the optional hydraulic lifters which were available on that engine starting, I believe, during the 22nd series and became standard later in 23rd series. The date should be in Bob Neal's book and typically with hydraulic lifters the optional filter was also installed.

I would suggest adding 6 qts, start the engine to fill the filter if there is one then stop the engine and check the dipstick. Add enough to bring to the full mark -- maybe a half to 3/4 quart after the engine has run long enough to fill a filter element and canister.

Attach file:

jpg  oil.jpg (76.81 KB)
209_64e28b50b06cd.jpg 934X750 px

Posted on: 2023/8/20 16:56
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave O
See User information
Yes; Howard you confused me. But I believe I understand you now. The oil will measure differently hot than cold. Which makes sense. Hot; the stick would show about 1/2 quart low because the oil inside the filter/canister has not drained back into the pan. Cold sitting, most all the oil should have drained back into the pan, and it should show to the full line on the stick.

Or visa, versa, a full system at hot would show 1/2 quart overfull at cold sitting.
What do you think?

Dave O

Posted on: 2023/8/21 14:32
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I am not sure temp makes that much difference. I was referring to the amount of oil (6 qts) that you start with after refilling the pan. Once the engine starts circulating oil, if there is a filter and you have changed it some oil will be permanently moved back into the new filter element and the canister. That oil will not be in the oil pan so the dipstick will read low until you add a half quart or whatever amount is needed to compensate for what the filter has stored.

Posted on: 2023/8/21 14:40
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave O
See User information
OK Howard; I was under the wrong impression I thought the oil in the filter would run back into the pan after passing through the filter to circulate the exchange of filtered oil back. I will read up on the Packard oiling system to better understand.

Thanks
Dave O

Posted on: 2023/8/21 18:36
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There usually is a bit trapped in the bottom of the canister depending on how high the hole is in the center tube and how much air can seep in from engine passages and then thru the filter inlet side tube to relieve any vacuum.

Posted on: 2023/8/21 18:42
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
If you're working on a level surface (car is level), the oil filler pipe dumps straight into the crankcase, so dump in 5 quarts and check the dipstick. Add until it's full, making note of how much more oil you've added. Crank it up and let it run for 10 minutes or so - or maybe take it for a spin around the block - turn it off and let it sit. Check it later and top off as necessary.

Most of my stuff reads full at something other than the factory suggestion, and none of them is in even quarts.

E/T/A: I also rarely run any of my stuff all the way to the full mark. A tad below is my M.O. Close, but never overfull.

Posted on: 2023/8/21 18:54
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved