Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
135 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 135

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Speedometer
Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Quote:

Packard Don wrote:
Good job at solving the issue! However (and I haven't looked at the parts book), I can't imagine that the Cavalier and Patrician would have different cables unless one or the other had gotten replaced at some point with one from, maybe, a junior model.

Considering Cavaliers and Patricians are essentially the same car, I was surprised too! I thought I was just going to take the Patrician cable and slide it right into my Cavalier and good to go, but nope. And when I compared the two cables, sure enough they were a bit different. Even the squared ends of the Patrician cable were a bit bigger. I grabbed another one this morning out of a Cavalier and it's the same as my original.

I haven't checked part numbers either to see if they show they are the same or not. But I'm going out to my garage to clean and install the cable I picked up this morning and hopefully have a working speedometer again!

Posted on: 2023/9/4 20:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

longjohn
See User information
The speedometer pinion gear can be viewed from the breather hole on top of the transmission. There is a access hole under the carpet on the transmission hump. Use a 1 1/4" wrench to take out the breather and the pinion gear is visible.

I also find that this access hole is a much easier place to add fluid to the transmission than the factory fill tube.

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_20230728_113102.jpg (145.81 KB)
1136_64f949f2224b1.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2023/9/6 23:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
longjohn

That's crazy, because I have looked right at that and didn't realize what I was looking at! 🙄 Thanks for pointing this out.

You are 100% correct that it is easier to add fluid here as well, as opposed to underneath the car. I suppose it's not so bad if you have a lift, but when I'm under my car I'm on the floor on my back.

Posted on: 2023/9/6 23:29
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved