Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
246 user(s) are online (117 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 244

JW49, DavidM, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Speedometer
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
In the category 'you don't know what you don't know', after my series of test drive I noticed no action on the speedometer. As discovered in earlier threads I have a 39 unit in my car. Do not know why but it shows someone in the past has been into that part of the car and may not have been careful.
I had lubricated it per Big Kev's direction so I wondered what else was causing issue.
They are pretty simple mechanisms, using a spinning magnet to drive the dial pointer so was not too worried about opening it up and having a look.
I blew it all out with compressed air and carefully lubed it using a toothpick dipped in light oil at all bearing surfaces but still when I spun the input shaft the dial was stiff to move and would not drop back to zero.
I suspected interference with the inside glass surface but that was not the case.
I then spun the dial by hand a number of times, but no sign of improvement.
I then spotted the cause:
The small metal disk behind the dial is held on at 9 & 3 o'clock by metal tabs bent over the mechanisms framework, these had loosened and the round face was off centre allowing the axle shaft of the dial to rub on the hole in the centres edge. Realignment by dropping the tabs back into their respective notches and crimping them firmly with pliers put everything back to rights and the pointer spun with no resistance allowing smooth operation and easily dropping back to zero at the slightest reading.
One more thing learned!
(By the way getting the dash panel in and out after the seat is back in is a pain, learn from me and verify your speedo before putting the seat in!)
Bob J.

Posted on: 2023/9/15 16:00
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Re: Speedometer
Home away from home
Home away from home

ElGroucho
See User information
Yeah, I took mine apart not too long ago and R&R'd it. Works great now. However upholsterer moved the cable to where it had right curve and the inner cable broke at the end. Just need to replace that and get it going again.

Posted on: 2023/9/18 13:41
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved