Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
222 user(s) are online (150 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 218

Packard Don, BigKev, Wat_Tyler, Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1937 120 Shock Absorber oil?
Home away from home
Home away from home

37Blanche
See User information
Couple questions on shock Absorbers
What oil do you put in the shocks?
How much do you put in?
How often should they be checked?
Thanks !
Ben

Posted on: 2023/11/8 12:02
 Top  Print   

Re: 1937 120 Shock Absorber oil?
Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
Some people have used hydraulic jack oil in them. I have, and it seems to work well. They typically leak if they have not been rebuilt in recent years. The correct procedure for checking and refilling can be found in the shop manuals in the Literature archive on this website. I use a squirt oil can with a piece of electrical wire insulation about 3" long on the tip to refill the shocks. The piece of insulation acts like a small hose that will fit into the filler hole on the shock body. Don't allow any dirt to get in the shocks. The small 7/16 plug on the upper shock body is the filler hole. If the shocks are very low on fluid, add fluid, then drive the car or bounce it, and it will usually take more as air is expelled. The correct fill level is the bottom of the filler hole. If you use the wire insulation trick and get the end of the insulation down to the bottom of the reservoir, then pump slowly, oil will start spilling over when the correct level is reached. These shocks will usually work well when full of oil, but it's common for them to leak. If they leak, it will make a mess over time and they will need refilled every few hundred miles or so. They are rebuildable in most cases Several shops around the country rebuild them, and exchange services are available. I jack my car up until the wheels clear the ground, then turn the wheels full left or right to access the left and right front shocks for refilling. A floor jack and safety stands do a good job. The rear shocks are similar. Shocks that are low on fluid or otherwise inoperable will cause all manner of ride and handling issues, inluding excess swaying and bouncing, wheel hop, shimmy, and severe wander or road-walking. It's worth the effort to get them in good working order, and worth the expense of getting them rebuilt if necessary.

Posted on: 2023/11/8 14:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
Packard 120s ride and handle very well when the shocks and chassis parts are working correctly. If your car has handling or ride issues, don't assume that it is "normal". It isn't.

Posted on: 2023/11/8 14:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

37Blanche
See User information
Thanks. Yes Ride is smooth. We were replacing the front suspension (Bushings, King Pins etc) and were wondering if we should do something there or not. Thanks for the update!

Posted on: 2023/11/8 16:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

CartRich
See User information
When I did mine, I used hydraulic jack oil as suggested in some earlier post on the site. I jacked up the front of the car, put wood blocks under the frame to keep it off the ground, removed the tire and used a bottle jack under the wheel to raise and lower it to work the fluid in and just repeated the process until it was full.

Posted on: 2023/11/9 9:35
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved