Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
211 user(s) are online (127 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 209

Don Shields, Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Oil pump change on 56 Packard 400
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Ernie Baily
See User information
The original sender which I kept ,I did clean it up and put it back in the car, works on the first startup after the car sits for a day or two, but then the needle slowly goes back to 0. I think my next step is to run a new wire from the sending unit to the dash gauge and see what happens.

Posted on: 2023/11/15 10:49
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Ernie Baily
See User information
I tested the continuity of the orig wire and it is good. I then used a new wire to go from sending unit to gauge and I got the same reading. So now I'm going to try locating another oil pressure gauge to see if the pressure stays constant.

Posted on: 2023/11/18 13:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
My 400 is the same way; the electric gauge worked when I bought it but it stopped working after a couple months. The previous owner already installed a mechanical gauge mounted below the dash.

Would like to have the electric one work again at some point. IDK yet if it's a connection or sensor issue, and IDK if the sensors can be helped by, say, cleaning, or if they just need replaced.

Posted on: 2023/11/18 13:42
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Ernie Baily
See User information
Well as a follow-up the car is working great. The only things that need to be addressed is that it has a power steering leak and the carb needs to be adjusted. I still have not found the reason that the oil pressure gauge works intermitentily. I'm considering buying a cheap electrical oil pressure to verify that the oil pressure sender is working because I think the dash gauge may be faulty. All the other gauges seem to be working properly. Also I have added a low pressure electric fuel pump back by the tank to allow the car to start easier after sitting for a while.

Posted on: 1/26 11:50
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved