Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
165 user(s) are online (108 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 164

29tons, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 9 »

Re: Upholstery Refresh
Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Quote:

Marty or Marston wrote:
Wire versus plastic - availability and what was generally used is probably the answer. On the home sewing machine - I used my mother's machine on my first car. The material was naugahyde and I did not have piping. The machine did just fine. The down side was with the operator being a teenage male with no sewing experience. But it was a "First Car" a '49 Chevy that cost $89 in 1961.

I still think Packard intentionally put wire in these two places. All other welting on that seat cover, and the front seat cover, have plastic. ๐Ÿค”

Sandblasted and painted the back seat frames today. $5 worth of paint on the frame, $50 worth of paint on the floor! ๐Ÿ˜„
Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 2/6 20:04
 Top  Print   
Laugh (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Slowly coming together......

Still waiting for fabric from SMS for my seat covers. I inquired a few days ago and Doug said "I will hustle these along. I think you have waited long enough." Maybe I'll get my fabric this year!?!?!? ๐Ÿ˜„

Posted on: 2/13 23:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
The seats are looking beautiful. I'm really impressed by your methodical approach to redoing them.

When I talked to SMS last, they said that they had to weave more fabric for me (even though they had 10+ yards of it available when I ordered). They said it was coming back from the weavers and that they would get it out in the next week. That was 2-3 weeks ago. So we'll see. I'll believe it when I see it.

-Kevin

Posted on: 2/14 0:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Quote:

kevinpackard wrote:
The seats are looking beautiful. I'm really impressed by your methodical approach to redoing them.

When I talked to SMS last, they said that they had to weave more fabric for me (even though they had 10+ yards of it available when I ordered). They said it was coming back from the weavers and that they would get it out in the next week. That was 2-3 weeks ago. So we'll see. I'll believe it when I see it.

-Kevin

Thank you! Trying to maintain Packard level workmanship and materials.

My fabric needs to be made as well. Would be great if it arrived this month, but I'm willing to wait to get what I want.

Posted on: 2/14 1:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
This big "pillow" is the rear seat out of my 53 Cavalier. It feels very luxurious, which is the way I think Packard intended it to feel.

Posted on: 2/16 1:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Is that the layer of cotton batting? I really looking forward to how it all comes out.

Seeing your work makes me realize I need to talk to the upholstery shop that is going to do my seats. I really don't want them to just slap a thick layer of foam on and call it good. I have no idea if they redo the burlap on the springs or do a new cotton layer just under the seat covers. I should probably discuss what I'm looking for with them.

-Kevin

Posted on: 2/17 0:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Quote:

kevinpackard wrote:
Is that the layer of cotton batting? I really looking forward to how it all comes out.

Seeing your work makes me realize I need to talk to the upholstery shop that is going to do my seats. I really don't want them to just slap a thick layer of foam on and call it good. I have no idea if they redo the burlap on the springs or do a new cotton layer just under the seat covers. I should probably discuss what I'm looking for with them.

-Kevin

That seat has 1 1/4" med density foam, a layer of cotton, a layer of 4 oz polyester fill, and then is covered with a light polyester fabric, which is what you can see in that picture.

I think the back rest, which was originally all cotton, is going to be 1/2" low density foam, 2 layers of cotton, a layer of 4 oz polyester fill, and then covered with the light polyester fabric. This is what I was working on tonight and I'm going to sleep on this before going further.

I was disappointed when I did the front seat with foam, I didn't like the feel of it. I took it apart and redid it. I have sat on it quite a bit since, and I'm quite pleased with how it feels now.

I had so many people tell me to just use foam that I did, even though it is counter to my goal of trying to copy what Packard did. I feel like I'm going out on a limb using the polyester fill.

I'm sure a shop will do your seats in whatever way you're willing to pay for. What I'm doing is time consuming! Which "might" be because I don't know what I'm doing! ๐Ÿ˜„

Posted on: 2/17 1:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
One step closer!

Back seat back rest is now ready for a seat cover. I went a bit rogue and didn't rebuild it exactly the way Packard did. I did burlap, foam, cotton fill, polyester fill and a light polyester fabric over everything. Originally there was no foam or polyester fill, and the polyester fabric would have been muslin.

Hopefully SMS comes through for me soon! ๐Ÿคž๐Ÿคž

Attach file:

jpg  Backrest.jpg (233.73 KB)
226104_65d21dede48b2.jpg 2048X1534 px

jpg  Backrest construction.jpg (315.84 KB)
226104_65d21e0137b2f.jpg 1536X2048 px

Posted on: 2/18 10:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Why spend $40 on a new piece of vinyl when you can spend countless hours saving the original?!?!? I try to save anything that's original on my car that I can.

I better adjust my insurance to reflect that my car has a $1000 piece of restored vinyl on the back seat!

Attach file:

jpg  vinyl 1.jpg (243.89 KB)
226104_65d3915d5309d.jpg 1536X2048 px

jpg  vinyl 2.jpg (607.99 KB)
226104_65d3916bd03e2.jpg 1536X2048 px

jpg  vinyl 3.jpg (570.13 KB)
226104_65d39180964b5.jpg 1536X2048 px

Posted on: 2/19 12:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
There are many hours into saving and prepping this 71 year old piece of vinyl so it can be part of the new seat cover, but I think it's going to work okay. It would be very hard to pay a shop to do this kind of work, it would be expensive!!!

Attach file:

jpg  vinyl.jpg (4.99 KB)
226104_65d604d083698.jpg 261X196 px

Posted on: 2/21 9:15
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 9 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved