Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
215 user(s) are online (120 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 213

Packard Don, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 9 »

Re: Treadlrvac???????
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
See advanceautoparts.com
Power Booster: "OErM" 54-73189 96'ish Ford truck.
Master Cylinder: "OErM" 10-1854, tru-torque M97934, cardone 10-1854, Raysbestos MC 39011, Bendix 11854, Wagner F97934.

The above are 1996'ish Ford truck/explorer.

Power unit is direct bolt on to left freshair duct hole in firewall. Requires 2wo ez to make flat adapter plates, one between power unit and firewall, another between pedal assembly and interior firewall.
Use 2wo Ford 96'ish truck pedal assemblies. Only need one if freshair duct flange is removed.
Power unit reinforcement details on request.
If Push Button transmission then PB relay needs to be relocated.
Speedo cable rerouted. Parking brake mount holes need to be slightly elongated.

This conversion can be done with NO alteration to original Packard platform other than deleteing parts and a hole elongation in Park brake mounting bracket and that's not even necessary.

Actually, this was all Erics design.

Posted on: 2009/5/6 13:31
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
Direct bolt to left freshair duct hole in firewall require 2wo ez to make flat adapter plates. Use 2wo F 96'ish truck pedal assy. only one if freshair duct is removed. Dash support details on request. If PB then relay to be relo'ed.

Keith, your shorthand gives me a headache trying to decipher it!

Posted on: 2009/5/6 14:00
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

MikeG
See User information
Craig-What did that unit come from?
MikeG

Posted on: 2009/5/6 15:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
MikeG
Quote:
Craig-What did that unit come from?

<p>Master Power Brakes #BS1001, which I understand has been superceded, but I do not know the new number. A complete parts list is on my website.</p>
<a href="http://www.1956packardpanther.com/powerbrakes.html">Power brake conversion</a>
<p>
Craig
</p>
<p>edit: fixed the broken link</p>

Posted on: 2009/5/6 16:36
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I Fixed it Eric. See if that's any better.

Posted on: 2009/5/6 19:05
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Keith, MUUUCCCHHH BETTER!!

As for modifying the master cylinder and brake booster in Packards, if you want to make an omelet you have to break some eggs. Nothing about modifying any car is easy, but if you want a safe car sometimes you have to think outside of the box. All these questions like "I need part numbers" and "where's a link" gets on my goddamn nerves. A select few of us go out and do the discovery work and the detective work to find out just exactly works in place of the original part and others expect people to just hand over the information without so much as a thank you, and get pissed off when you don't. The moral of the story is, no matter what the modification is, get off your arse, look at your car, and YOU decide what will work and what will not. If you're keeping the stock brake setup, fine, I hope you don't drive it that much and don't come down too many hills. If you want to modify your car to make it safer, great. Just quit asking me because I'm tired of explaining this shit 15 million times.

Posted on: 2009/5/6 19:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
The positive side of this thread is that there are several, rather innovative, solutions to the replacement of the dreaded BTV.

The negative side of this thread is that despite serious work done by many forum members, other forums members interested in a solution have not done their homework, i.e., they have not explored the resources on this and other sites. Otherwise, why the same questions over and over?

I do agree with Eric that any Packard owner with a BTV who drives it more than a few yards a year is risking his and his passengers life. I'm not in that category. I can drive my 55 Pat anywhere, anytime and still avoid "rice rockets" slamming their brakes on in front of me at 70MPH.

Craig

Posted on: 2009/5/6 22:49
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
I think I get the drift. It's at least important for questioners on specific technical points to do a search of past threads to find their answers. It's nice of you more knowledgeable folks to share what you've discovered, too. Why not have a dedicated thread or special section on "modification tips" that lists some of the most commonly accepted solutions, and resources for parts.

I learned a lot in a hurry from a section on common modifications and improvements on the D24/P15 site for postwar Dodges and Plymouths. I was helping a buddy get his '47 Dodge going--for FREE! (It was well worth the time.)

It is easier to do this kind of "modification tips" section when the technical points cover only a couple of model years, like the V8 Packards.

So maybe it would be better to put a thread in the V8 forum, so the questions can be answered with a simple: "Go to the Modification Tips and look up TreadleVac" or whatever the commonly modified item might be-- disc brakes, electric wipers, ignition upgrades, oil pump "issues" and PCV are a few things that come to mind.*

Just a thought.

(Calm down, Eric, it's just "the penalty of leadership.")

*Note: There may be differing opinions on these solutions, your mileage may vary, under penalty of law.

Posted on: 2009/5/10 1:27
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I don't mind "explaining this shit 15 million times" as Eric is quoted, if there is potential to lead to productive analysis, solutions to problems and new discoveries. Several weeks ago another member of this website complained of "... to rehash the ... discussions which we've been through, and through, and through." in another famous topic. He was a forum Ambassador too.

The problem is that many newcommers to Packard are not aware of all of the topics that have been discussed over the years. How could they be aware of the topics if they are new to the web site or new to Packard????

The downside of all of this is that many newcommers show up and present a problem for analysis and then never return to explain their findings. That's just the nature of open discussion groups that we have to live with.

If every solution to every problem is to "seek the services of a qualified proffesional or sales representitive" then what point is there to a discussion group????? In that case all that is needed is a list of vendors and service providers.

THis is an OPEN Internet discussion forum. NOT a Sunday school class.

Posted on: 2009/5/10 6:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Keith, what's with the "Heir Eric" stuff? Is it a play on words or do you actually mean "Herr Eric"???

Confused minds want to know....

Posted on: 2009/5/10 7:25
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 9 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved